10 out of 10 (woohoo) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
hhmoore
10 out of 10 (woohoo)

Well, it took between 36-48 hrs from first pip to the whole clutch being out of their eggs, but here they are.
the eggs

First pip - 7/12, 09:00

7/13, 0830 2 others ducked back into the eggs before I could take the shot

a closer look

Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
hhmoore
7/13 19:20 (late for work, lol) 7 out, 2 pipped (one hid his head)

7/14 07:50 one of them bolted out of the box, so there are only 9 visible
(I really tried to get them all, but they were just too active this morning)

Obviously, there will be more pics coming, lol...maybe even the story that comes with them.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
jglass38
Awesome Womas, Harald!! Congrats!!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
varnyard
I agree!! Just awesome Harald!!!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Bill & Amy
They look great!!!!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Cat_72
Congrats Harald!! They sure are some cute lil boogers!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Wilomn
Heh. Womas. BIG FRIGGIN DEAL.

OH, and on the serious side, daaaaang, that's really cool.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Laura Fopiano
Awesome Harald! Are those the eggs from the female that you were telling me about?? Very cool!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
hhmoore
Thanks for the comments, all. The best thing about this clutch is it was pretty much unexpected...as ashamed as I am to admit that, here is the story. I cycled and introduced parents; but within days noted that they were both showing some respiratory symptoms, so they got separated and warmed back up. Ended up having to treat with antibiotics, which ended up being a prolonged course at a higher than normal dosage...so I pretty much figured that even if there had been any activity, it was likely to not be successful. I was so sure that I wasn't going to have any python eggs, that I had taken the heat sources out of my incubator and packed it away. On top of that, I had been pretty much ignoring the female - I noted that she was going into a shed, then she disappeared under the paper. The cage wasn't dirty, I saw movement, and even saw her drinking one evening...so I never really messed with her. I pulled the paper back one morning to offer her food and she was all curled up underneath - no surprise there. But when I moved the rat in, she jumped and HISSED - that was new & different. At that time I caught a glimpse of white. Eggs?? EGGS!! Oh , my incubator is downstairs. There's no heat in it. where did I put that vermiculite. (you get the idea, lol). It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to get the incubator up and running and prepare an egg box - picture me guesstimating water temperature so I could get it as close to temp as possible when mixed with 55 degree vermiculite, lol. I did pretty darned good, too...I hit the mix with my temp gun before putting eggs in: 88. I did the mix by feel, of course. Some of the eggs were a bit dented, but all appeared good (that first pic was after about 5 days in the incubator, after they were all plumped back up) - I figured they had been there a little over 2 weeks, based on when I had seen her opaque. Sure enough, at 30 days in the incubator they were denting badly. At 41 days, I saw the first head sticking out. By day 43, they were all out and active. I moved them to a larger container (didn't feel like setting them up individually...too darned tired) - by the time I was done, they were all racing around striking at me, at each other, at shadows, lol. I'm sure I'll be keeping them for a while. I've always found baby womas to be an absolute pleasure, so I am in no hurry to move them. And I don't think that most people will mind getting them a little bigger.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Cat_72
LOL, that's a great story, Harald. I can just about picture that "HOLY " look on your face!!!

They really are some beautiful babies, congrats again to you and the mama, she done good too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!