Florida Looks To Crack Down On Large Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Florida Looks To Crack Down On Large Snakes

Note the quote from the pet store owner, "Within a year, they could be 18 feet and really need their own room".
Nice to know the local pet shop can be relied on for accurate information.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. --
Giant snakes on the loose around the Sunshine State are prompting Florida officials to take a hard look at revamping the rules for reptiles.
Proposals include restricting sales and requiring permits for some large reptiles and even microchips for pet pythons, WESH 2 News reported.Huge snakes have been rounded up around the state after they were dumped by owners who apparently didn’t want to deal with them any more.

Pet store owner Carol Hoover said the problem has gotten so bad that she decided to stop selling the larger reptiles. She said people just seemed to be buying them on a whim with no thought to what they're getting themselves into."Within a year, they could be 18 feet and really need their own room," Hoover said. "Most cages that even we carry and can get are not designed to hold a snake like that."

Legislation intended to regulate large snake sales went nowhere at the Capitol this year, so now wildlife officials are looking at statewide restrictions.Under proposed rules, buyers would have to be at least 18 years old and have a state permit to buy pythons or anacondas, which can grow to 12 feet or more.Capt.

Linda Harrison of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said they also want buyers to insert microchips in the snakes."That way if the animal got loose, it's a means of determining the identification of who owns that animal and a means of tracing that animal back to the owner," she said.

Part of the state’s new plan includes an amnesty program where pet owners who may have bit off more than they can chew can turn in a snake that’s gotten too big -- no questions asked.
The state said it doesn't want to interfere with businesses or responsible pet owners, but state officials also don’t want giant snakes prowling the underbrush.A final public hearing on the proposed rules is slated for February.

The next exotic pet amnesty day, where you can legally turn in an unwanted exotic pet, is scheduled for March 24 at Crest Lake Park in Clearwater.
If the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission decides to adopt the proposed reptile rules at its February meeting, the new rules would go into effect in January 2008. The rules would apply retroactively to all owners of animals on the "reptiles of concern" list.

Link to Article

Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Goanna
Doesnt sound too bad to me. I wish other states were as open minded to the businesses and hobbyist. I like the microchip idea as well, would keep people from intentionally letting the snake loose (unless they tried to remove the chip themselves first, which unfortunatly some people probably would).

Nothing like here in NY, where they just decide to make everything illegal.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Wolfy-hound
The problem is that permit. Florida can make it hard to get a permit for ANYTHING. Governmental agencies that don't know what you need to get it.. where can you get one..
But I don't disagree with the microchipping AT ALL.. I think all pets should be required to have one. Then everyone knows whose animal got thrown out beside the road.
Yeah, I bet some would try to get the cip out before dumping them.. but hey.. how many people would be successful in it? Especially with something like a big rock python? I wouldn't want to try that.
Wolfy

Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Ok, question...

Does anyone else think it's a bit late to stop the problem?

Now I'm not speaking of owners dumping there pets (I would love to strangle those people). I'm referring to the fact that there probably already is an established breeding population in Florida of the larger constrictors. What are the chances that they are going to hunt down every last one?

Old 01-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Cat_72
Perhaps they can't stop it, but they can keep it from getting that much worse.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
dzoo
Quote:
Note the quote from the pet store owner, "Within a year, they could be 18 feet and really need their own room".
Nice to know the local pet shop can be relied on for accurate information.

Yes not completely accurate but probably better than saying "Yeah, they're great pets for kids, easy to care for and it will only grow to the size of the tank you keep them in" like some of the pet stores do........

Old 02-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
cahrens
Now I may be biased here but I really don't see what the big deal is. There are a few burms in the everglades. So what? I believe that the alligators will keep them in check. Over and over when a battle of snake vs. alligator occurs, the alligator wins. It has been documented several times. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should let their pet snake loose outside. I don't think any pet should be allowed unattended outside. Including the millions of cats that free roam our neighborhoods, killing countless millions of native florida birds and mammals and crapping in my flower beds. They have the whole neighborhood and surely a litter box at home but they gotta come to my flower bed when it's time to crap. It's funny how people always want to save the florida wildlife and preserve the ecosystem here all the while you see woods and swamps leveled and filled to build more houses and strip malls. If you really want to save florida, kick all the people out. We're the ones who are ruining it here. Not a few burms in the glades.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
bluesbayou
Chris,
If you don't get mega - Karma for the post, send me your address and I will mail you some!

Blue

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!