So with all of this talk of AV - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #31
Vinny D
ok thanks rick for your help..

Old 04-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #32
RangerGrrl
GA is a ridiculous state. You are allowed to keep NON-native nonvenomous, but ONLY native venomous here. Zero non-native venomous snakes allowed. You can't even keep something like a "super-anery-snow-hypo-blizzard-wow corn" that any moron could tell never came from the wild, unless you have a rehabber's or educator's license. The Dept. of Ag (which regulates health and animal welfare in petshops) AND the GA DNR are both run as though the blind were leading the blind, IMO.

That said, I would love to someday see a AV lab, or maybe even work in one. I think I'd need a lot more biochem before I could do it, though.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #33
hhmoore
That is not as backasswards as it may sound. Allowing only native venomous snakes to be kept means that in the even of an envenomation, antivenom will be available. It also increases the likelihood that the physicians that immediately tend to the patient won't kill him before the venom does.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #34
RangerGrrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
That is not as backasswards as it may sound. Allowing only native venomous snakes to be kept means that in the even of an envenomation, antivenom will be available. It also increases the likelihood that the physicians that immediately tend to the patient won't kill him before the venom does.
That part makes sense, along with the idea of no non-native venomous getting a chance to set up feral populations. (Although knowing the GA DNR, that may not be WHY they did it, even if the results are good.) I was more thinking about the "native ban" on non-venomous. I find it stupid mainly because the government doesn't back up their laws with knowledge or enforcement. I know people who've been stopped while transporting "illegal" reptiles through GA from one legal state to another, and DNR wanted to confiscate the snakes, until the person flat out lied and told them it was a legal species. The employee didn't have a clue what legal vs. illegal looked like, so he let him go. It isn't good for ANYONE when the regulating authority is incompetent......

Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #35
Scott Ashton
I've heard recently that the largest anti-venom research and production facility is going to be constructed in Central Pennsylvania do to overwhelming demand in that area.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!