getting " envenomated " can get you ........ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
old guy
getting " envenomated " can get you ........

kicked out of some zoo related jobs while on duty or can get you FLUNKED out of some herp classes/schools/colleges while attending. Anybody know or is aware of this ? We have a private school in the KC area that use to auto flunk you in the advent you got tagged while in class or field trip. I don't know if it could happen while not attending class or the above, let's say at home or whatever. I do know that while the class was down in the Yucatan Peninsula that the Professor warned of such and one in particular individual got reprimanded for picking up a small snake without edifying the species which happened to be a micrurus ( coral snake ) of non normal micrurus coloration !

Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Vinny D
Does This Look Like A 3 Month Old Eastern Diamondback Bite A Few Days After Treatment Because Some Ppl On Here Think It's Fake I Would Like Your Opinion And Ill Tell You
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Tim Cole
Question Looks like a poll is needed here.

Hard to tell by the pic. I would have expected the measurement marks to be gone by now.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
Vinny D
well it was still very painful and i wasent trying to scrub out a sharpie

Old 02-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
Tim Cole
I guess...

that answers that. Care to share your mistakes for others to learn by?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
Vinny D
yes i wish other ppl saw it like you i have made mistakes and im not proud of them but when you play with fire your going to get burnt i just want other fellow herpers who might not know as much as some of us to take into consideration if what a venomous snake can do to you i live in PA and their is no law's againced hots and i go to reptile show's and see kids like 15 16 yrs old buying gabby's and others porbly not even knowing if that snake bites you your in deep trouble

Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
Vinny D
on march 23, 2005 at about 8:30 am est i decided to clean the water bowls in my snakes cages i chose to do the eastern first i was extreamly care less as to how i did it i noticed she was in her hiding cave facing the other direction of the bowl so i decided to just reach in and grab it 1 of the worst mistakes of my life by the time i touched the water bowl her head was about 5" away from my hand i froze for a second and she nailed me i used a venom extractor and washed the bite location when all the blood was rinced off i saw the swelling already half way up my hand u called 911 and told them the situtation and they rushed emt to my house it was raining so the chopper's were not flying the closest hospital from my house was about an houe drive but they took me to the closent 1 first dont ask why i dont know by than i couldent walk at all and still couldent walk for the next 3 days when i finally got the the hospital that stocked crofab which took about 2 hrs they already had it ready i received 15 vials before the venom had stopped proceeding through my body it though it was alout too but thats what they gave me i was in the hospital for 9 days before they let me go home all im trying to say is be careful and dont loose respect for the animal like i did i almost died that night for something i known i shouldent do and if your thinking of getting a hot or working with 1 at all do your reaserch and make sure you can get antivenom alout of people on this site think im some fony and lier but im not im just sharing my mistakes(which some think is bragging) so other's wont half to i handled hots for 13 yrs before i got bit since i was 6 i caught a corl snake on the playgroud in kindergarden and ever since then i had a passion for venomous as well as non-venomous so just please be careful and dont let stupidity get in the way thanks for reading

Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Vinny D
the closest hosp to my house that carried crofab was about an hour away sorry typo

Old 02-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Griz
Vinny, since you asked, let me address your question with questions/statements of my own as well as comments from others that will showcase why people do not believe you, myself included:

1) Edited

2) You stated that you began "studying" herps at the age of 4. Maybe I and others are taking this out of context but you don't study anything at the age of 4. You might be fascinated with things but a 4 year olds attention span is about 5 minutes.

3) You stated that your parents started allowing you to handle hots at 6 years of age! Ok, if you say so.

4) To quote the owner of this forum "Paralysis and no tissue destruction from a rattlesnake bite? I don't think so........ Five days after a rattler bite, your hand would look a real mess." Your hand shows no sign of either.

5) The bite marks appear to be spaced too far apart for a 3 month old crotalid of that age, even for an adamanteus, and with no swelling/streaking 5 days after the bite? Are you sure the thing that bit you did not go meow instead of hisssss?

6) Here's a quote from you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny D
about a year after that my 2 month old eastern diamondback rattler nailed me. 5 mins after the bite i was paralized and i couldent walk for 3 days i dont have any scaring from the rattler bite
You were bitten by a Eastern Diamondback, correct? Their venom is hemotoxic yet you clearly state you had paralysis within minutes. Hemotoxic venom destroys tissues. Neurotoxin attacks your CNS and causes paralysis. So, which one was it?

But, let me point out a few more interesting facts. You see Vinny, I have a copy of the newspaper article that was written about you when you were bitten by the Viper, you know, the article from the Lancaster News ( Vinny's Article ).

For starters, it states that you were in the hospital for 9 days with that bite. Is it just a coincidence that you also state you were in the hospital for 9 days with the rattlesnake bite?

How about your thread in the Welcome New Members page? You clearly state how you have all of this experience and knowledge surrounding these animals. Yet, the Lancaster News quotes you as stating "“The guy had told me, if I had gotten bitten, nothing would happen. I would
not even get sick. I would just have a little bit of pain, like a bee
sting,’’ Vinny said. " A BEE STING VINNY??? Yet, we are to accept you as an expert with regards to these animals. Ok, whatever.

Where's the viper now Vinny? Oh that's right, you don't have it anymore do you? Why? Because it was specifically against your townships ordinances. You supposedly have all of this knowledge regarding hots yet somehow you failed to check your local laws. What further compounds this is the fact that even after this animal was taken away due to violating the ordinance, you still manage to bring in an Eastern, which tags you also. Yup, sounds like a mature herper to me. I wonder if your township has been informed of your current inventory (rhino's and puff adders)?

What about antivenom Vinny? If you know so much about hots surely you would have been smart enough to check to make sure a local hospital had some. Right? You got lucky that Brian was there to help save your rear and that the South African antivenom worked.

Speaking of Antivenom, let's look at this quote from Brian "Dr. Ward Donovan, head of the toxicology department, has dealt with snake bites but never one with no available antivenom, Washington said. The next step was checking with poison centers throughout the country to find the best antivenom, Washington said. He also searched the Internet for information. He and Donovan settled on a polyvalent (a mix of antivenoms that included antigens that work on snakes similar to the West African bush viper) from South Africa." Wait a minute Vinny. Didn't you say that you helped consult with them on what antivenom to use? How dare the newspaper not give credit where credit is due!

I could go on and on Vinny but I think my point is perfectly clear. You have shown yourself to not only be an irresponsible herper but also one that holds the law in complete contempt. You have misled this board and have been called to the carpet for it. Now, do us all a favor and go away.

Griz

Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Griz
Guys, to further showcase the inconsistencies regarding Vinny take a look at the original email Vinny sent after he had purchased the animal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny D
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 5:48 AM
To:
Subject: please read

i was wondering how venomous my atheris chlorechis like on a scale of 1 to 10 for it to kill me if i got but i promase i will not take any more chanced like that in my life i promase well you are the nicest herpetoloigst i have ever talked to you know your $hit man thanks again for everything and 1 more thing since i bought my bush viper a couple of months ago she hasend shed at all not even any signs for it but she eats and drinks she's verry healthy sorry to bother you soo much but i just trust your knowlage if you can write back a.s.a.p. i would highly appreate it thank you again for everything.......... sincerely,
The "chances" Vinny was referring to was free handling the animal as well as kissing it on his lips!

Need we say more Vinny?

Griz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!