Just got my first baby corn!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
ChristineMarie94
Talking Just got my first baby corn!!!

Hey everyone!

So I've been wanting a corn for a long while now, and I've kept putting it off and putting it off, but today I had a friend tell me that the exotic pet store in town's corn had some babies that they were trying to home. I went in after work and sure enough there were two little baby corns!

I picked one of them up (and was really impressed with the owners when they were talking to me) and I just got it home and all set up. It's momma (who I got to meet in the store) is a bloodred and it's dad is a snow, and my little baby is absolutely adorable, and I'm sure going to grow into quite the stunner! It's eating great and shedding great (they actually had the shed there for to show that it was in tact and everything, which I thought was pretty cool) and I'm just so stoked! I hope to get a couple pictures once it's all settled in. The only thing I need now is a name!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
~Just Curious~
Congratulations on your new snake Christine!
Corns are so cute and fun to watch, aren't they? I hope it thrives and ends up being a wonderful pet for many years to come~

Let us know what you end up calling it! I personally name my critters after real people, but I love how the corny puns such as "Cob" and "Candy" make people groan.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Helenthereef
We definitely need pictures! Hope you have a lot of fun with him.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
ChristineMarie94

This is a terrible photo of it, but it was the only one I thought to snag before he burrowed away under paper towels, lol.

Also, a quick question about UTH? I have one, and I'm slightly nervous about the temperature? I have a thermostat for it with a probe, but the problem is that when I have the probe in the tank the cord for the probe won't allow the lid to close fully. Obviously with a corn, that's a problem. Is there some trick that I'm too tired to be seeing? Or is there a way that I could suction the probe to the outside of the tank?

I do have a little thermometer on the inside of the tank on the low end of the hot side, but I'm worried because I know that that isn't nearly as accurate as the probe would be if the doggone cord weren't in the way!!

As far as names go, Balthazar is standing out in my mind as well as Rumplesnakeskin (Rumple or Rump for short.)

Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
ChristineMarie94
Holy crap that pic came out huge! Could someone let me know how to shrink that to not blow out folks eyes??

Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Helenthereef
I like Rumplesnakeskin very much!!!!

(And he's very cute, makes me want one, it's ages since I had a cornsnake and I've always liked them)

Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
ChristineMarie94
I think I am going to go with the name Rumplesnakeskin. Once I said it it was just one of those things that felt right! He is a cutie! I'm smitten at least, but I think I'm biased. :P

Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
~Just Curious~
I like the name Rumplesnakeskin too, it's as cute as him!

As for your thermostat probe, my first thought was that perhaps you could keep the cord attached inside to the back of your tank and just file a small notch in the hard plastic border of the lid. This way the cord fits snugly and there's no gap when it's closed.
Would that work?

Also if you're worried about the placement of your thermometer, maybe consider getting a tempgun such as http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-ETC-8.../dp/B00837ZGRY because you can point and click those anywhere for instant readings throughout your tank.

Lastly, most computers come with Microsoft Paint or a similar image editing program. After plugging in your SD card, you can go directly to MS Paint and open the file you want there. The new versions have a "Resize" button right on the home bar up top, but I think that in the older ones you had to go to "Image" and then "Stretch/Skew". You can then enter what percent you want to shrink your image down to. Try out 15% to start with, but if you're not happy, just hit "Undo" and try a different percentage next time.

Once you're satisfied, go up to "File" and hit "Save As" to save it in your computers photo library or where ever you'd like. Now you always have the properly sized picture on hand and can attach it to your forum posts here or upload it to hosting sites such as Photobucket. Speaking of - you can also resize pictures in your Photobucket library just by hovering over them and clicking the "Edit" option once the gear icon pops up.

Best of luck to you and Rumple~

Old 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
ChristineMarie94
I did end up taking your advice about filing a little notch in the lid to get that cord in there. I feel a lot better now that I know that the temperature is safe and steady at 83 on the hot side and 77 on the cool side! Rump finally figured out that there was a whole world above the paper towel he'd been hiding under, and was stoked that he could lay inside the water dish, since the one at the store was a little too small.

I feel like everyday with this will be a learning process for sure, so I'm taking every small victory that I can, haha.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
baby cornsnake, oregon