Leopard gecko - lamp or no lamp? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
MissBree
Leopard gecko - lamp or no lamp?

I'm currently building a habitat for my first leopard gecko, and after a lot of research I'm finding mixed messages about heat lamps. Some say that the geckos need them for recreating their natural environment, but others say it's bad for their skin/eyes and will just stress them out. Does anyone with experience in this have advice? Thank you!

Old 12-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
spiritedghostwolf
yes i am experience, lamp is NEEDED or REQUIRED, as you may know leopard geckos are nocturnal. they'll be active mostly at night, theyre temperature should be 80 between 90F. and the heat lamp should be red ,desighned for leopard geckos. they shoud have a basking area and a cool area on the other side of the tank,the basking should be at 87F - 90F the cool side should be 74F - 80F . Do not let the max temperature get above 94°F, because that is considered too hot for your leopard gecko. Goodluck leopard geckos require heat lamp (red nocturnal heat lamp.)

Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
bcr229
I've never used a heat lamp with mine. They're in an open-sided rack with clear tubs and belly heat set to 90*F.

You do want to ensure they have access to a warm hide, cool hide, and humid hide. Also do not use sand as substrate or they can get impacted.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
spiritedghostwolf
ohh yeah you dont need heat lamp if you have them on a rack ,or in bins use heat tape.but in a real encusure in tank they need a heat lamp or at least a heat pad to put under the tank

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!