Male Amelanistic corn hatchling died suddenly? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Reisreptiles
Male Amelanistic corn hatchling died suddenly?

Hey guys.
This actually happened a little while ago, but I'm trying again with a corn snake so I just want to know what went wrong. I mean, after more research, I realized a LOT of things that could have gone wrong. So I'm just going to be completely honest and tell everything as it is.

So, in late February of 2013, I got a male amel corn snake hatchling from a local pet shop. He seemed to be in perfect health. Active, alert, no signs of mouth rot, etc. He didn't show any problems at all... until the 12th day I had him. Now, before I start describing what happened, let me tell you how the condition of the tank was:
-20g long tank
-Aspen substrate
-90 degree F hotspot
-high 60's or low 70's during the night
-30% humidity
-No heat pad
-Water bowl, three hides, stacking stones, leaves, etc... All of which were not cleansed or sanitized before putting the snake in its enclosure
-75 watt heat bulb, I don't really know what brand it was but it's yellow, not blue.
-Here is a video about the tank I set up, in case you wanted to see it: http://youtu.be/dFCCLW2FOT4

Okay, so here's what happened with the snake:
Let me say first that the first few days after I got him, we weren't home, so he had no heating. None. And it was COLD out.
When we had come home, he still seemed fine, so I turned on the heat lamp, and he was fine for the next week or so, until I decided to feed him a pinkie for the second time. He acted funny, sort of limp, and all of his color was just DRAINED out of him. Almost like he was about to shed, but not quite. He seemed much skinnier somehow, and could barely keep his head up. He refused his food, even though he ate the first time I offered him food (which was 5-7 days ago). I mean, he didn't even seem like he knew what was going on. He wasn't moving at all. He was still breathing, and still alive, but not moving.
Then I did some really quick online research and found something horrifying.
It turns out my baby had symptoms of MOUTH ROT. Bubbling, wheezing, and the dirty growth around his mouth. I immediately acted upon it; using the alcohol-free Listerine remedy, but it wasn't good enough. He ended up dying that night.

The night before he died, I had given him a liquid calcium and vitamin supplement. And, I did handle him a LOT. Like, every day. I don't know if any of this has to do with his death, but I'm just mentioning everything that may have contributed.

Thank you all so much. I can't afford to lose another snake. I get so attached to them!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
It sounds like it wasn't your fault. I'd be wary of buying a snake from a pet store, in general. I would probably switch the bulb for a heat mat for your next corn.

I'd also recommend getting a yearling or a well-started hatchling from a reputable breeder as your next corn.

If you're going to be using the same tank, I'd also thoroughly clean everything before you put a new snake in it, in case your previous one had anything contagious.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
jjc reptiles
Same thing happened to me with three pet store snakes. Healty, healthy, healthy, then sick and dead.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
corn snake, corn snakes