Eyelid Disease...?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
lostkauze
Eyelid Disease...??

Hey all...

My friend has this trio of leos (really, its a friend and not a coverup for myself), but he has had his three leopards for about a 1½ years now.

He came to me because he knows I have more than several geckos, and I can't answer his question, so I am coming to you guys:
He says his lizards have never had a problem shedding --ever, but recently they have been closing their eyes whether light or dark. He says they aren't opening, and is concerned that they wont/aren't eating.

It seemed kind of odd to me, but maybe there is some sort of communicable leopard disease which infects the eye, causing the lid to be closed all the time??? I told him to give them sauna soaks too see if it improves, but couldn't tell him much else.

He, as well as I thank you.
Michael

Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
MatthewK
We once had a leo come into our pet shop that was deathly skinny, and eyes were shut closed. They brought it to UGA I think and they gave it some kind of eye drops for an eye infection, this leopard had gooky eyes. Once we got the females eyes open, it seemed her eyes were milky. I think soaking and feeding her roaches got her back up and running and screaming like a leo does. We wanted to keep her in the store till we could get her back to par but the owners insistid on bringing her home. Little later we found she had passed away. Im not sure if her eyes ever improved, or exactly what was going on. Just thought I would throw this in, food for thought.

Good luck.

PS. I know they are really your geckos Just kidding

Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
StinaUIUC
It could be an infection...it could also be a deficiency of some kind. Eye problems are a key sign of vitamin A deficiency very often...do you know what he supplements his leos with?

Old 03-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
robin d.
usually vit A dificiancy is a problem in hatchling leos which are born with eyelid slits, small eye/big eye or bug eyes... it is usually not see in adult leopard geckos. i would ask him what he uses for a substrate and how often he cleans it, it does sound like an infection and he should take the geckos to a vet. because all three have it, it does sound like something environmental... also ask what he uses to clean his cage ... bleach, novolsan ect.. and also find out of maybe any possible chemicals have been used in the house lately bug sprays anything that might put out allot of odor... oh yeah and does he smoke

Old 03-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Storm55
Robin,

So a lack of vitamin A in the parents could cause these defects to appear in their hatchlings?

-Jackie
StormGecko

Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
katiem
I had the same problem with a sub-adult I rescued. Mine was due to a vitamin A defeciency and I started supplementing with Rep-Cal's Herptivite. This has beta carotene, which is an anti-oxidant that gets converted to vitamin A but is regulated, so they won't get too much V. A. Within 3 weeks his eyes began to open and he's back to normal now.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
robin d.
Quote:
So a lack of vitamin A in the parents could cause these defects to appear in their hatchlings?
eyelid slits, little eye big eye and bug eyes.... so yes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!