New Zombie-Ant Fungi Found - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
SamanthaJane13
Talking New Zombie-Ant Fungi Found

LiveScience.com livescience.com – Thu Mar 3, 5:45 pm ET

The world just got a little weirder: Scientists have identified four new species of brain-controlling fungi that turn ants into zombies that do the parasite's bidding before it kills them.

Identified from samples collected at two sites in Brazil's tropical rain forest, each of the four species specializes in controlling a different species of carpenter ant.

The original zombie-ant fungus, Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, was first identified in 1865, and it seems to exist around the world.

"So we knew, right off the bat, there was a range of other species within that," said study researcher David Hughes, an entomologist at Pennsylvania State University. "I think it will turn out to be in the hundreds."

Once it infects an ant, the fungus uses as-yet-unidentified chemicals to control the ant's behavior, Hughes told LiveScience. It directs the ant to leave its colony (a very un-ant-like thing to do) and bite down on the underside of a leaf — the ant's soon-to-be resting place. Once it is killed by the fungus, the ant remains anchored in place, thanks to its death grip on the leaf.

Ultimately, the fungus produces a long stalk that protrudes from the ant's head, shooting spores out in the hopes of infecting other ants. Two of the four newly discovered species also sprouted smaller stalks elsewhere, including from the victim's feet and lower leg joints – the equivalent of knees.

The spores of the four species also had distinct features and germination processes.

Hughes is concerned that one of the four fungus species, O. camponoti-novogranadensis, may not be around for much longer. During their visits to Brazil, Hughes and his colleagues saw that the high-elevation site where the species was found had become markedly drier and hotter. Hughes attributed the change in conditions at the Parque Estadual de Itacolomi, which is near the World Heritage Site Ouro Preto, to global warming.

The ants can survive this shift in the local climate, but "the fungus can't," he said. "What we think we will see is the extinction event of the fungus we just managed to describe." (Hughes said fungi are essential aquatic organisms living in terrestrial environments, making them extra-sensitive to a drying climate.)

The research by Hughes and colleagues Simon Elliot and Harry Evans appears online today (March 2) in the journal PLoS ONE.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...d6b21iaWUtYW4-

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
fuzzylogix
very cool article. now scientists are going to try and synthesize those chemicals in a lab. somebody is gonna break into the lab and toss a vial of the chemical into a crowded mall. thus starting the zombie apocolypse....

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
that's crazy, I remember hearing about this before.

What I don't get is why the fungus would make the ant leave the colony, then put out spores to infect more ants? Would work a lot faster if it happened in the colony.. maybe the other ants would remove the dead/infected one before it had a chance to put out the spores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogix View Post
very cool article. now scientists are going to try and synthesize those chemicals in a lab. somebody is gonna break into the lab and toss a vial of the chemical into a crowded mall. thus starting the zombie apocolypse....
well it had to start somewhere...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Utta
you guys must not watch Plant Earth to much, do ya? they had a section on this. rather awesome footage. check it out.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Utta
there it is

Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
you guys must not watch Plant Earth to much, do ya? they had a section on this. rather awesome footage. check it out.

very cool Tyler, thanks, I'll check that out when I get home.

What is Planet Earth? is that a program or a tv channel?
I only watch HULU

Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogix View Post
I hope I can find a leaf big enough to hold me.....

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Ntyvirus
T-virus anybody?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
very cool Tyler, thanks, I'll check that out when I get home.

What is Planet Earth? is that a program or a tv channel?
I only watch HULU

Was a special series that discovery channel put out. same people who did Life and Blue Planet.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
there it is

thanks for posting that link, crazy stuff indeed; nature is amazing, I sure hope that fungas doesn't mutate to mammals or we'll be pod people before too long.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!