Sexing Westerns?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
John E Dove
Sexing Westerns??

Anyone ever heard of sexing Western Hogs by counting their saddles?
If so how accurate have you found this method to be?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
99Vengeur
Interesting idea, but I have never heard it done before. Most just use tail length as a gauge of sex.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
John E Dove
I generally use a probe for older snakes and popping for neonates but I heard about saddle counting and was wondering if anyone else had seen it work out.
As I encounter Westerns in the wild with some frequency saddle counting would be a handy tool for recording gender ratios.
I generally find, with CB snakes, that tail length is rather unreliable.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Several years ago that was a fairly often used indicator, but I'm not sure if anyone really relied on it as a sole means of sex determination.
I didn't use it much myself as I was never sure of the exact method. When two saddles join, is it one or two etc. Now I've forgotten what the numbers even were for the sexes so I can't test it on the ones I have.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
John E Dove
Well I dug up the email that gave me this info and she said "I was told that males have between 35 and 40 saddles and females have more than 40 saddles".

I just used this info for a google search and found the following website that mentions something similar under "Subspecies and Mutations".
http://www.reptileallsorts.com/westhognose-cs.htm

Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
whytepizza
I've only really head of it being used to tell the differnce between the subspecies. I'm sure with the tail length it's a good indicator, but i wouldn't make it my only way to sex them. (besides, once you get into the mixed genetic species you'd have a problem {i.e. mexicans with plains hognose} where their patters is dependent on where they're from).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!