Baby Cockatiel - Friendly Nips? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
AGoodwin
Question Baby Cockatiel - Friendly Nips?

Hi there,

I am a first time cockatiel owner. I have only had budgies before. I got my pied baby Sunday at a bird expo. He does not bite my fingers when I put my hands through the cage, but when I put my hand in he will come over and nip me a little, however it does not hurt and he even does this after voluntarily going onto my hand. He lets me pull my hand out of the cage with him on it as well. He does not get scared and flap away from me when I go in the cage and I feel he is big enough that if he wanted to hurt me he could. This makes me think it is friendly, kind or playing with me, rather than trying to hurt me or get me away. Thoughts?

Thanks!

~Amanda

Old 04-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Was your tiel hand-fed? Do you know how old it is?

The nips can mean a few things... if he makes no noise when doing the nips, its not anger He can be trying to play but I am thinking more than likely he is asking to be fed. That is why I asked the questions above.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
AGoodwin
yes about the hand feeding. He/she is 2-4 months old. There is no noise before or with the biting. But there have been a few times that I have gone in the cage near him and he hisses at me, but instead of biting me he just moves away.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Cat_Eyed_Lady
To me... Sounds like the person who hand fed them didnt spend any time with them other than to put food into them. If you handle him/her often, the nipping should stop. Or you can get a toy or something to encourage him/her to nibble on that instead of your hands.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!