Quaker q's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
AvandisFifth187
Quaker q's

I was wondering it's true that the only way to sex a Quaker is to get a blood test? Or is there some other way other than randomly pairing it up with other quakers and seeing what happens?

Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Shadera
Quaker, as in Quaker parrots/monk parakeets?

Yes, the only way to tell for sure (other than seeing it lay eggs) whether you have a male or female is a simple DNA test. Quakers are not sexually dimorphic. Your vet can do it, or you can even do it yourself by either clipping a toenail a bit too short for a blood sample, or you can send in freshly pulled feathers. It's fairly cheap to do. Here's a good company to use:
http://www.avianbiotech.com/

Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
AvandisFifth187
Thank you very much, Shadera!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Shadera
You're very welcome. Quakers are great birds, by the way. If you're going to get one, you'll love it! I had one named Bubba growing up, and he was my best pal.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
AvandisFifth187
Love'em

My family already has one. We've been wanting to sec him/her and try to find one of the oppisite sex for obious reasons. Lol ours is named Nimbu.. which I think means Lemon or Citrus or something like that in Hindu.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
AlwynSylver
Ohhh no

Ok first off i dont want to know is nimbu is a boy or girl because that bird is so annoying and mean. And btw people in reality he hates that bird lol

Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
firestar72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
Quaker, as in Quaker parrots/monk parakeets?

Yes, the only way to tell for sure (other than seeing it lay eggs) whether you have a male or female is a simple DNA test. Quakers are not sexually dimorphic. Your vet can do it, or you can even do it yourself by either clipping a toenail a bit too short for a blood sample, or you can send in freshly pulled feathers. It's fairly cheap to do. Here's a good company to use:
http://www.avianbiotech.com/
I wanted to add if you do the feather route it will have to be 5 or 6 feathers freshly pulled from the chest. I was going to sex my Quaker that way until I found out I would have to pluck my bird. The other way, like what was already said, is to clip a toenail. When I took mt bird to the vet he did the dna sexing for $30. He was the only "avian" vet in town within 100 miles.

Quakers are my favorite birds! I also got mine micochipped. I was glad I did because last summer my bird was lost outside for 3 days and the people that found him took him to the vet and the vet found out he was chipped. I got him back. Since I could prove he was mine. They all look the same for the most part. The people that found him wanted to keep him and bought a cage and toys for him, the police wouldn't' return him because he was lost and not stolen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!