My African Grey Wont Speak - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
AllyV
My bird still gets so upset with me. He is always trying to escape. I dont think he likes me.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
giraffe_gal
Parrot talking....

I have owned birds my entire life, most of them being Greys, Macaws, and Cockatoos. I have a couple things to say...
1) First if you are upset that your parrot doesn't talk, then you did not purchase him for the right reasons. Parrots are companions, and the fact is that some of them just never really talk at all, including Greys. I hear this complaint often because people purchase a Grey anticipating it's talking ability, and are usually quite disapointed. In my life only about 60% of the Greys I have seen are talkers. There's really no way to determine why.
2) You have given us his age, but you did not state whether you are his only owner. This is important because it gives me an idea of how long the bird has had to settle in and get to know you. I have two birds that I adopted from rescues and when I first got them neither ever made any kind of a sound. Then after about 4 months or so they began to feel at home and talk and scream and so on. Do not get frustrated with the bird. Enjoy his company and affection, and don't get your hopes completely wrapped up in whether he talks or not. You may also try some of those CD's that repeat words all day long while you are gone. Remember not to leave him in the quiet when you are away. Use the TV, Radio, or CD player just to make him feel more at home. A bird that is always in silence will become stressed.
Just don't forget that not all African Greys will talk, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with them.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
giraffe_gal
one more thing...

Additionally if your bird isn't comfortable with you he probably won't talk. For parrots talking is sort of like communication with their human flock member. So the first thing to address is your relationship with the bird.

There are a few foods that you should offer and only let him have them from your hand... I usually use grapes and almonds, but you just need to figure out what his favorite food is. Also... Greys get startled easily and if you get frustrated and move too quickly or raise your voice the Grey will just sort of retreat back into his little shell. This takes patience. Be gentle and endlessly forgiving. When you approach his cage at first try kneeling so you are not taller than the bird is high at first he won't perceive you as a threat if you are his height or slightly lower, this is only something to temporarely do until you are able to earn his trust. This helped me a lot with a stubborn, chicken little Grey I wound up with about 2 years ago. If you have any more questions you can email me if you'd like. giraffe_gal@yahoo.com

Old 11-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
AllyV
i was crying last night because the parrot was giving me dirty looks

Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #15
Stardust
How much are you holding him?
Are you letting him out of his cage for a few hours daily?
Birds are very social and like interaction.
Build up a routine for him. Do you have a perch outside his cage that he can sit on during the day?
I am thinking that you may not have had him his whole life?
You need to build a relationship with him, every morning say the same greeting, and like when I give any of my birds a treat I always say "yummy" so they are familiar with what it means and can start to mimic it. Every night say the same thing.
Like my Casper and KC will both tell me "step up" when I go to them as they know that means that I will get them out and let them out for a few hours.
Don't center on the talking, first center on building a relationship with your bird.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
AllyV
He is still looking at me so weerdly. Im so upset over this. He really doesnt like me. Oh no he has just done it again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!