Thanksgiving plans? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Lucille
Thanksgiving plans?

I am having my Thanksgiving meal with my sons today, their father is having a meal for them tomorrow.

I am studying for finals and in my extra time am putting together a new leo rack and I really did not want to do a lot of cooking. I do not feel guilty because the kids will get a turkey meal with their Dad tomorrow.

So I am taking them to a casual but good downtown barbecue restaurant, Pappas, afterwards we will walk around the downtown Houston are which has of the last few years been refurbished and is now actually nice in places.

I plan to give each of them a little money so they can find themselves a small gift: I know son #2 has been getting serious about a nice girl so he may buy her a gift instead of spending on himself, he is that kind of person.

I love Texas barbecue, and this is one of those rare days in Texas that the weather is nice, so it sounds like a great day.

What do y'all have planned for Thanksgiving? Are y'all cooking?

Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
PaulSage
Tomorrow I'll be joining my 3 brothers at mom's for dinner. We don't really do gifts or anything at Thanksgiving, although mom would probably consider it a gift if we managed to stay the heck out of the kitchen until she was finished cooking.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
A_Kendergirl
I plan on being sick!!

I caught a cold from my husband, so I'm sure I'll be miserable tomorrow (not feeling so great right now!).

Old 11-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Cat_72
We're all getting together for lunch at my mom-in-laws.....this is her first holiday since my father-in-law passed away, so all of the family (which is huge, she had 7 kids, and LOTS of grandkids, and now 2 great grandkids!) are going to be there. She's got to be one of the world's best cooks....you can barely roll out the door by the time you leave, and she's still worried you haven't eaten enough, lol.

Then we're sending the kids off to their dads, and spending some quality time just the 2 of us for the first time in ages.

And I don't have to cook ANYTHING this year.....WOOHOOO!!!

Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
I will be going to my mom's house tomorrow and Amy will be going to her sister's house. We decided its just easier that way, then we can both see our families. Christmas is hard enough to get to everyones house, dont want to complicate Thanksgiving too (lol). This way we can both enjoy the relatives!!

Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Jim O
My family is tiny. Parents are gone as are the uncles. I have one attached but childless brother who lives 400 miles away and hunts on Thanksgiving. My two older kids will be up north (assuming my son's plane gets off the ground) with their mom, so it's just the youngest that will be with me. I'm cooking for us and nine guests. I really enjoy making the big meal but clean up sucks afterwards...I tend to be sooooo tired. lol

I'm guessing that my dogs will enjoy a bit of turkey for dinner too.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Cat_72
Quote:
I'm guessing that my dogs will enjoy a bit of turkey for dinner too.
LOL Jim......each of my doggies always gets their very own "plate" of a taste of everything from a holiday meal!! It's a bit unfair though....Molly will NOT eat from a plate that she thinks may be mine, so one of the kids has to give it to her.....and then they get all the credit!!

Old 11-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
Dr Owens
Well, this year everyone is going to my Mom's since this is the first holiday after my father passed away in August. In an effort to take a some of the burden off of her I suggested that we try something new this year...so I'm going to fry a turkey. I've never done this before, so wish me luck.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
ms_terese
Quote:
so I'm going to fry a turkey. I've never done this before, so wish me luck.
Good luck, and please be careful!!!

If you've never used a turkey fryer before, please take the time to go through this one simple exercise:

Before you put the oil in, fill the fryer to the oil fill line with water. Then put in your turkey and make sure that it will not over-fill the fryer.

The biggest risk with the fryers is that when people add the turkey, it turns out that there is too much oil, it spills over and *poof*, here come the flames.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
Dr Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
Good luck, and please be careful!!!

If you've never used a turkey fryer before, please take the time to go through this one simple exercise:

Before you put the oil in, fill the fryer to the oil fill line with water. Then put in your turkey and make sure that it will not over-fill the fryer.

The biggest risk with the fryers is that when people add the turkey, it turns out that there is too much oil, it spills over and *poof*, here come the flames.
Thanks for the input.

Actually, the way that I was planning on doing it was to put the turkey in the fryer, and then fill it with water until the turkey was covered. Then when I remove the turkey I'll know by the water level exactly how much oil I need. That way I can keep from wasting any oil.

I've talked with a couple of people who did exactly what you were describing. One friend said that she still has a stain on her patio from when her husband overflowed the fryer a couple of years ago. Doh!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!