Best Dwarf Bci locality - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
AbsoluteApril
Both of my adult hog isles are in the 4-5 range, male is 17 and female is 10. I do know the female's parents were 6' or so as the breeder sent me photos of the parents. I feed conservatively, they get one medium rat every 2-4 weeks. I have seen some monster hog isles though, either I got lucky or my slow grow feeding schedule worked well.

I have seen some very small adult Tarahumara , 3-4', adorable and I'd deff consider those a dwarf.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #12
Krj-2501
I would say the slower grow/feeding schedule worked. As I have actually heard of other snake keepers doing that as well.

I have also seen videos and other research - where they would take two siblings(same gender) from the same clutch/litter. One of the siblings would feed larger meals, at about every 7-10 days. While the other sibling was feed more modest sized meals, on a more modest feeding schedule.

The results - basically the sibling which was more heavily feed - end up becoming sexually mature about 18-24 months earlier - and being about 25-50% larger at the same age. But generally the smaller sibling would be the healthier of the two - as the larger sibling was also a bit fat/overweight.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
JCCS
That's simply not true about Hogs. I had completely pure animals, all of which were either traceable directly back to Bob Sears or Dick Georgen and I had a male that was around 5' and my adult female was about 6 1/2'. They were much lighter bodied than Colombian animals or even mainland CA animals, but they were relatively long.

And you're actually a bit long in my experience on the Caulker and Crawl Cay animals. I don't think I've ever seen a Crawl or Caulker cay much over 4' if that long. They tend to be slightly heavier bodied at least compared to Hogs or Corn Islands.

On the Sonoran and Tarahumaran, I never raised them.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #14
Krj-2501
T
Quote:
hat's simply not true about Hogs. I had completely pure animals, all of which were either traceable directly back to Bob Sears or Dick Georgen and I had a male that was around 5' and my adult female was about 6 1/2'. They were much lighter bodied than Colombian animals or even mainland CA animals, but they were relatively long.

Actually it is true - at least from a certain point of view. Here is what I mean - the Cayos Cochinos (Hogg Islands) are no larger than Caye Caulker or Caye Crawl in overall size. And the wild original Hog Island Boas were also as small as the Caulker Cay/Crawl Cay boas - in other words were about 5 feet/1.52 meters (maximum). But the Hog Island Boa have now been bred in captivity for about 3 decades (7-10 generations). So that it is likely 7-10 generations of very well feeding and possible some cases a bit of over feeding - so now the maximum size of the pure blood CB Hog Island Boas is about 7 feet/2.13 meters for females. And the average adult size of CB Hog Island boas - is still about 5 feet.

Now as for overfeeding. Keep in mind that this is a fairly common problem seen in most of the "big" constrictors snakes. Also remember that the wild - on their native island homes - it is doubtful that adult Hog Island boas would eat more than 12-24 rodents/prey per a year. By comparison - in captivity adult Hogs are often feed 26-52 rodents per year. And in some cases - they may be regularly feed rodents which are about 25-50% greater than the snakes girth. The end result is a snake which is quite a bit larger and fatter than it's wild counterpart.

Quote:
And you're actually a bit long in my experience on the Caulker and Crawl Cay animals. I don't think I've ever seen a Crawl or Caulker cay much over 4' if that long.
Well - according to the online information - I have seen - the maximum size for the Caulker Cay and Crawl Cay Boas is listed at about 5 feet/1.5 meters. But the average adult size for these two dwarfs seems to be about 4 feet/1.22 meters.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Krj-2501
Well - after looking at some research papers on wild Hogg island Boas - I need to make some corrections to some of my previous statements.

Quote:
Here is what I mean - the Cayos Cochinos (Hogg Islands) are no larger than Caye Caulker or Caye Crawl in overall size. And the wild original Hog Island Boas were also as small as the Caulker Cay/Crawl Cay boas - in other words were about 5 feet/1.52 meters (maximum). But the Hog Island Boa have now been bred in captivity for about 3 decades (7-10 generations). So that it is likely 7-10 generations of very well feeding and possible some cases a bit of over feeding - so now the maximum size of the pure blood CB Hog Island Boas is about 7 feet/2.13 meters for females.
Well, based on a 2004-2005 study of the Boas of Cayos Cochinos (hog island) - the research group captured & released(after scientific data was collected) 169 adult Hog island Boas, or about 25% of the estimated adult population on the islands at that time. They found the average size of wild adult females to be about 4.5 feet/1.37 meters in Total Length. With the adult males - averaging about 3.9 feet/1.19 meters in total length. But in that average female size - there was at least 3 exceptional large females. The largest of which was about 7.2 feet/2.2 meters in total length, and weighed about 12 lbs/5.5 kg. the other 2 large females was about 6-6.5 feet/1.83-1.98 meters, and weighed 7.5-10 lbs/3.5-4.6 kg.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
Krj-2501
Well - I am definitely considering getting a pair of pure blood Hog island Boas.

The fact that they could potential reach 6-7 feet does not really scare me that much. As I already have a pair of Dwarf Burmese Pythons (females - average about 6 feet, max out at about 8 feet).

The main factors are the overall appearance(natural hypomelenistic, and speckled) and general temperament of the Hog Islands. While I liked all the dwarf/localities - I think that Pure Hog Islands are a must have for anyone seriously considering getting into the dwarf/Locality boas (which I am).

Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #17
Helenthereef
While these are not BCs of any stripe, have you ever looked at the Pacific Boas (Candoia species?).

The most commonly available seem to be from the Solomons, which are pretty closely related to my Fiji Boas. My Fiji boas max out at 5 - 6 feet, about as thick as 4 bunched fingers and are exceptionally mellow.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #18
Krj-2501
Quote:
While these are not BCs of any stripe, have you ever looked at the Pacific Boas (Candoia species?).
Sorry - but never even consider them. While - they seem to be a cool but unsung genus of small boas - from Indonesia. They are not what I am looking for - which is the smaller localities of Bci/Boa imperator.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #19
richardhind1972
This my hypo NIC and corn island together hypo NIC was 3in June and red nic will be 3next week both under 5ft

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #20
Krj-2501
Both are nice looking Boas - Congrats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!