Big Texas hello! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
dmmcnair
Big Texas hello!

Hiya there!

My name is Dawn and I'm in Central Texas. I have four kiddoes, 1 hubby, 2 dogs (great dane and chihuahua), 2 cats, 2 parrot (African Grey and Black-headed Caique), 3 horses, and 2 geckos.

Yup, my house is full! My daughter has informed me recently that she would like a bearded dragon. Oi! So I'm online doing some research. We got our geckos for my youngest son when he was in 5th grade (7th grade now). He's done a terrific job with them. I've decided to start breeding our own meal worms and superworms since we live out in the country and it's too dang far to get them when we run out. My daughter is in 5th grade this year, very responsible and straight A student. I suggested that she get a reptile, rather than another dog or cat (not that the hubby would allow another dog or cat, LOL).

I'm plan on building a vivarium for the beardie, and maybe a new one for the geckos so they can stack (I did say my house was full). Found great plans for it, now just have to get the materials and pray for some warmer weather to put everything together. I'm planning on making it 4x2x2. I also plan on doing some propylene hides and sides.

There are so many products out there, I'm just getting confused right now. Is a basking light just a 150 W (or whatever W is needed) bulb? Or do I have to buy a "basking" bulb like from ZooMed? And the UVB bulb should span most of the enclosure?

Wanted to ask a probably stupid question, but why don't beardies use a moist hide like the geckos do to help with shedding? Just wondering.

Oh, and are there any breeders in Texas? All posts I've found are very out of date and even some websites that I've found are not up to date. I got our geckos from the pet store, and they have done great, but through experience (rodents) animals from the pet store are can be taking a chance.

Anyhoo! Nice to meet everyone.
Dawn

Old 02-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Robert Walker
Welcome to Fauna Dawn! There are a lot of knowledgeable people here when it comes to beardies. Here are two helpful links for you:

1. Bearded Dragon Forum: Best place to ask questions about husbandry/hides:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=124

2. Bearded Dragon Classifieds: When you are ready to purchase a dragon
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=484

Again, welcome and enjoy the site!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Beyond GenetiX
Hello Dawn, and welcome! You have definitely come to the right place. I would check out the links that Robert posted.

Short answers, yes uv span the majority of the enclosure. For basking bulbs I use a variety, it depends on the enclosure height and size. The main concern is getting the basking temperature correct(100-110). I typically use bulbs that can be purchased at any home improvement store.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
dmmcnair
Thanks!

Have been looking through all the beardie threads...lots of stuff! Looking forward to learning and getting to know folks.

Can't wait to get started on the enclosure and getting my daughter her beardie...eek, I think I'm more excited than she is. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!