What’s going on with the cage companies? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
What’s going on with the cage companies?

There’s something going on with the way cage companies are handling their business. Why is it that there are so many problems such as unusual delays or simply non-delivery of the merchandise? Is it a lack of organization, working capital, return on investment or…? Is there a way to protect the consumer that has sent money in advance? Let’s face it, one can send 50% in advance instead of the whole amount but that doesn’t protect you from loosing the down payment. And then again 50% of $6,000 is $3,000, not quite pocket change to be thrown away. It seems to me that whenever a problem arises it’s very difficult for the “company” to promptly make good on the claim. Is the margin so marginal that they can’t work on a replacement order until they sell more cages or is it simply that they don’t care? Can we think of something that can be done?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
TomO
How about that? Not enough that you have to be wary of het snakes, now you have to be wary of het cages too - Het for delivery.

On a serious note though, there are undoubtedly some good cage manufacturers out there. It's just too bad that there is now one more segement of the industry that is being tarnished by the low-lifes. Unfortunate also is that exposure of the low-lifes usually comes at some cost to a consumer.

IMO, this is not really surprising as this industry as a whole (as represented here) is extremely tolerant and forgiving of rip-off artists as long as they don't do it too many times, and as long as they show some level of contrition. It is naive to think that there are not those who would take advantage of that.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
But there has to be an explanation for the delay of even good reputation companies. Taking into consideration the rebates some of them offer for their cages it seems they are making close to 100% above costs. So what’s the problem then? They accept more orders than they can handle? Is it that their suppliers are not delivering materials in a timely fashion? There has to be some explanation. It would be very interesting if someone that builds and sells cages for profit would give us his opinion as of why this is going on. The other thing is how can we protect the consumer from having his funds tied up by a company that will not deliver within a certain agreed time frame.

Regards.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
Bill & Amy
I think these cage builders are worried that their competition will get the business if they dont. They need to stop and realize that if everyone has a waiting list there is enough business for everyone. If you can't keep up with the business you already have, why continue to book more? They all say they dont have time to respond to all their emails, but they have time to post ads everyday or every other day. It comes down to this, hire people to cover the demand or dont try to sell so many. I would rather have people mad at me for not taking their money, than people mad at me for taking it and not delivering!!

Old 12-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
There has to be some explanation.
You would think so, but for some reason, in this regard, it appears that some hold themselves above vendors of other hard goods. One in particular, who claims to be the leader and inovator in cage building, seems to perform particularly poorly in customer service yet is still apparently sucessful. This sets a very poor example for any new business which might look to emulate their apparent success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
The other thing is how can we protect the consumer from having his funds tied up by a company that will not deliver within a certain agreed time frame.

Regards.
How indeed? Exposing their poor performance is not always effective, as some seem to maintain a few choice customers who can vouch for their "great service". Nothing will change until those who can exert some pressure, do. When it comes down to it, what good does it do to say "I'm sorry you got shafted, I always get good service" It would be more beneficial for all, if those who champion the poor performers kept silent instead of offsetting the negative by adding their input. This should of course only be directed at the habitual poor performers.

It would surprise me if there ever was any concerted effort to send a strong message. Sometimes those who are preyed upon are preyed upon because they are weak. In this case, this industry is collectively weak in demanding even the most basic level of acceptable customer service.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #6
Lucille
[quote=TomO] When it comes down to it, what good does it do to say "I'm sorry you got shafted, I always get good service" It would be more beneficial for all, if those who champion the poor performers kept silent instead of offsetting the negative by adding their input. QUOTE]

No. The crucible of reputation is never harmed by the addition of truth. The whole concept of the BOI is to have a place where people can add their input, both good and bad in an attempt to ferret out the truth.
American justice is founded on the concept that a jury, hearing the evidence, can discern and make the choices that serve justice. Here, we are the jury. If one person, or several, or many, have had good experiences, let their voices be heard. I think the citizens of Fauna can see the whole picture and come to their decision without restricting what is heard.

I must admit to being troubled by the apparent lack in some cases of professional behavior: those who start off as slimeballs are easy to despise. But those who have shown by their actions that they KNOW what the right path is, and have chosen to leave it, are worse.
There are reasons, good reasons, for not timely completing a contract and promise: illness, disaster, and so on. Barring those, and even in those cases, communication is important..

Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
No. The crucible of reputation is never harmed by the addition of truth. The whole concept of the BOI is to have a place where people can add their input, both good and bad in an attempt to ferret out the truth.
I can't disagree with that at face value, but you have to take into account the relative weighting of any opinion rendered. That is to say that in many cases, one single vote of confidence from one of the more well-known folks can offset many instances of poor service experienced by the unknowns. Why else would there be so many examples of select favored customers? IMO, this is obvious to many of the poor performers and they use it to their advantage.

Isn't it ironic that sometimes the fruit of fairnesss poisons the seed of justice?

Old 12-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO

Isn't it ironic that sometimes the fruit of fairnesss poisons the seed of justice?
It is, and yours was an extremely thoughtful and incisive response. It is terrible that there are times when the guilty have their burdens lightened, to maintain the structure of justice, and yet the structure is vital.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!