Ohio Herping - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Abby
Ohio Herping

Decided to go herping for the first time this year on Easter morning in some woods near our house I've never explored. This was my fiance's first herping experience, and it didn't make for a very exciting first :P All we found was a single Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata cirrigera). Well, to tell the truth I was very excited... All the years I've lived in Ohio and been herping I've never seen a single Salamander! So that was cool. Here he is:

We decided to check out the woods again on 04/18, it was much warmer. We found a lot more creatures this time, and he found his first snake, an Eastern Garter. Here is what we found:
2 Ravine Salamanders (Plethodon electromorphus)

1 Eastern Garter (Thamnophis sirtalis) covered in dirt

1 Eastern American Toad (Bufo americanus)

We also found some interesting millipedes. I don't know what kind they are exactly but I suspect they are from the polydesmida order. We found many but only photographed two:

and of course, some nature shots:

The woods go up a hill, and on the hill there is a natural spring. This pipe runs from the spring and used to end in a concrete reservoir, but it busted in the middle. I thought it was neat, and the water was refreshing:

Anyway, there is a lot of ground we didn't explore. Hoping that as it warms up, we can find more creatures. We also hoped to find some morels up there, but it must be too early in our area. Going to go looking this weekend. Enjoy!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Looks like it was a good day! It's supposed to get to the high 70's here this weekend, and I definitely plan to be out with the camera.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Looks like it was a good day! It's supposed to get to the high 70's here this weekend, and I definitely plan to be out with the camera.
Haha, the first time around (when we found the first salamander) we didn't bring a camera, so we had to take him all the way home, then walk him all the way back where we found him. From then out we decided the camera is #1 on our list of items to bring I look forward to seeing anything you find as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Tiger Lilly
Great pics, Abby. Guess I should find somewhere to do some herping myself. Looks like fun!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
CnsrvtnBoy
Always exciting to see a wild snake, isn't it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
amphibian, field collecting, herping, ohio, reptile