Maybe time for an upgrade... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment

Notices

Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical and practical details of how to take good pictures and videos, as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
WebSlave
Maybe time for an upgrade...

After watching a number of videos on YouTube shot in 4K resolution, I am strongly considering a new camera body now. Looking at likely going with a DSLR this time around instead of a camcorder style device. And I have been trying to pick up the slack in the changes in technology since the last time I purchased a camera body. The last one I bought (outside of video-centric camcorders and my GoPros) was a Fujifilm Finepix S3 Pro, which is 2004 technology. So I've got 12 years of advances (?) to catch up on.

I've been a Nikon user for a long time, and the reason I chose the Finepix camera body back in 2004 was because it accepted my Nikon lenses, and reviews actually indicated that Fujifilm had a better design than Nikon was able to come up with at the time. So, in order to retain my Nikon lenses, I am focusing on Nikon compatible bodies.

So in the Nikon lingo, I am hearing the terms "DX" and "FX" lenses and bodies, that seem to indicate lenses and bodies that are providing a cropped image compatible with smaller sensors (DX), and those lenses and bodies that provide a "full" sized sensor (FX). From what I have been able to determine so far (I think), is that DX lenses on a FX body will produce vignetting on the image, which indicates that the barrel of the lens that light travels down to the sensor is too small for the sensor. Some people are saying that FX lenses on a DX body will work, but may introduce some distortion as a result. But apparently there are contrary opinions and evidence provided when you look harder.

So, of course, looking to the future, it would probably be a safe bet to say that eventually DX will be completely replaced by FX as the cost of the larger sensors comes down. With electronics, this is a pretty sure bet. So does it make sense to invest in a DX body and lenses that will most certainly become obsolete in the pretty near future? Or will the current technology that DX can provide satisfy most people for long enough for the distinction between DX and FX to be irrelevant?

Of course, if I discover that I need all new lenses anyway, because of the loss of compatibility with those lenses to the new digital technology of the latest generation of camera bodies, then all brands will wind up on the table. I am still on the upslope of the learning curve, trying to figure out if that will be the case or not.

Never really considered doing video from a DSLR body, but it seems to be that camcorders I have used that are designed for video just seem to do rather poorly at still photos. So it is worrisome to me that a DSLR designed for still photos just might not be able to do all that well with video. So I am scrutinizing YouTube videos closely. Honestly, from what I can see, even considering the compression and alteration that YouTube inflicts up videos uploaded to it, the video I see from DSLRs are quite acceptable. Of course, at this stage of the game, it wouldn't make sense to get anything video related that cannot do 4K. Unfortunately, finding a DSLR that can do 4K/60fps will get you digging REAL deep into your pocket to pay for it. So I am trying to figure out if 4K/30fps will be "good enough". I just don't see myself spending $6,000 for ANY camera body for the amateurish stuff I would do with it.

Of course, some practical questions are smacking me alongside the head right now about this entire idea. Seriously, with the trend for the internet leaning heavily towards handheld mobile devices, what future does 4K video really have? What use will it be to have a camera that can take 25 megapixel images if the audience will be looking at images that could NEVER be anywhere near that size on their viewer?

Just seems like the photo and video increases in technology are now heading along a path that will be completely incompatible with the vehicle best able to spread the fruits of that technology to an audience.

But in any event, with what I have learned so far, and comparing specs against what I would LIKE to have in a new camera body, the Nikon D500 appears to be at the top of the list of candidates for me. It's pretty new, so prices are a bit more than I want to spend, but heck, that seems to be pretty much a constant with ANYTHING I want to buy.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Randall Turner
If you do open up to more camera manufacturers, I'd look into the Panasonic GH4, it has high marks for the 4k video it produces (granted its 24 frame, and 30/24 frame when shooting 4k.) Outside of action shots though, the 30 fps is quite acceptable.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
WebSlave
Actually, yes, I have been looking at the Panasonic line and checked out the GH4. But I'm REALLY intrigued by the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000. It's a 2 year old design, but seems to pack a lot of capability into a relatively inexpensive package. Yeah, I know it doesn't have removable lenses, but heck, it has a 25-400mm zoom lens incorporated into the body! That would cover 99% of any use I would likely want from it anyway without toting around several lenses to cover that range.

I'm still interested in the Nikon D500, but some people seem to be experiencing some problems with it that may need to get ironed out before i want to spend that much coin on it. And I'm really not thrilled with Nikon's implementation of autofocus in video. They seem to be treating video like a minor passing fad that just needs to be tolerated rather than something that might actually be important to their customer base. I believe they CAN do better, since obviously other companies already have.

But heck, if I do get that Panasonic, I may just discover that I really don't need the Nikon at all. I can stick with my Fuji Finepix body using the Nikon lenses I have a while longer and I'm sure it won't kill me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!