eggs not looking too good - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Elfmaze
eggs not looking too good

So we apted to let mama snake sit on the eggs. and these eggs are about 3 weeks old . but i don't think they are doing too well. What does this look like and how i do i confirm the eggs are dead?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
hhmoore
Well, they look pretty bad. The coloration on the front two isn't promising. Have they gotten hard yet?
You can try to candle them, but they are so collapsed I don't know that it would really work anyway.

What kind of eggs are they?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
what were the temps in the spot where the eggs were kept? and did you keep the humidity up? I dont think they have a chance now.... the green certainly looks like mold, and how dented up they are... i just dont think so. personally, at least.

Did you just not have an incubator ready for them? or did you want to try maternal incubation to see if she could do it?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
TheVipersHouse
from the looks of it there wasnt much for humidity , and not being in a clean enviroment mold is a most likely to happen .cant tell much about the back eggs but personally if the back eggs are still at least white i would get them out of there ASAP and get some humidity to them . thats the only chance they will have to make it ..

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Elfmaze
We had no idea she was a gravid female. So yes the eggs were unexpected. We were figuring we would just let here go for the maternal thing.

Here is a picture of the back eggs. still not very round, but at least there not very green yet. The problem is i can't get the eggs separated.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
get some humidity to them, some peat moss will do, or sphagnum. just set it around them but not touching, moistened NOT soaking wet. The other eggs shouldnt bother them if they are still viable. Hopefully they will still plump up. What are the temps in the enclosure? Those need to be in the higher eighties for them to do well. if not. find a way that wont dry the eggs out more than they already are.

Find a way to get an incubator set up, i have a cooler one set up, with 2 ft of flexwatt and a thermostat. It was very simple to set up. You could also try making one out of a 10G tank, with a glass sauce jar filled with water and a fishtank water heater in that. with a plexiglass cover. ( not 100% on if this is a tried an true method, but ive heard that it works, but never tried it myself)
Incubating them artificially will be better off so you dont disturb them by taking mom away from them, or stress mom out. They definitely look like theyre in need of some serious intensive care though. ( if they will even make it, which others might elaborate on)

Once mom is off of them, and you have something set up if you are planning on them hatching out * i dunno if they will or not, but ill hold out hope for you*, you have to clean mom, AND her enclosure. EVERYTHING. even all of the accessories. you dont want it to smell like her eggs. That should help to get her back on feed ( if she hasn't eaten yet)

You say they were unexpected, is mom housed alone, or with her "partner in crime"? If she is with the male, Separate them, and wash him too. and get a second enclosure. if not, did something happen where she came in contact with a male at any point in time ( if you bought her like that unknowingly)? Im interested to know...

Be prepared to get some small setups for the babies too. Theyre going to need clean enclosures set up and running at the right temps for them, if those last two do end up hatching.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Elfmaze
So, the eggs came out of housing two "female" ball pythons together. Apparently Miss crank pot is actually Mr. crank pot. Mr crank pot has since been relocated.

I was able to finally get the bad eggs separated. I think one of the two we are trying to save also had a bit of green starting but I'm not willing to give up on it quite yet.

We stripped the tank, put down paper towels and moss around for humidity. covered the top with lexan and have the heaters cranking. right now the tank is 71 as per the house temp i will have to see what it stabilizes at with the lexan on top. We were told to keep a warm spot in the tank and let mom regulate the eggs temp. cooler was better than warmer as long as she had a warm spot to go heat up. is that still true?

Eating doesn't appear to be a problem. Dali has been eating regularly since she layed.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
hhmoore
I've moved this thread to the BP forum.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
ToshaMc
Did you candle them to make sure they were fertile? Did she come off the eggs or did you take her off? Has she been sitting on them? In my experience if she isn't sitting on the eggs -- then she knows they are dead. If they are healthy eggs she won't move from them except to readjust or to take water. If you have your temps at 71* then that is waaaaay too low. They should be in the high 80s bordering on 90*.

They look like they are gonners to me - but candle them and see if you can see any signs of life. If not throw them out, clean the cage and Mom.

If they are alive I would suggest putting together a makeshift incubator - just easier by way of tending to them if you are going to save them.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Ed Clark
Looks like those eggs are lost.

Candle them tonite after it gets dark to see if you can see red viens in there.

Just use a small flashlite, the mini mag works great.

Careful not to rotate any while looking at them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!