Buyer payment question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
azalinx
Buyer payment question

Quick question. I have a person that bought a group of animals and I allowed them to make payments. I have the animals and took care of them for the past 2.5 months for the buyer as well marked them sold and turned down any other offers.

The buyer now has blah... blah... blah... excuse why he cannot complete the transaction and demands a refund of their money.

question: what would you do in this situation?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
KingBowser
I would tell them sorry, but payment plans are non-refundable. Situations like this are the reason that responsible buyers like me have to deal with breeders that refuse payment plans. I personally have done several and I always follow through to the deadline.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
azalinx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBowser View Post
I would tell them sorry, but payment plans are non-refundable. Situations like this are the reason that responsible buyers like me have to deal with breeders that refuse payment plans. I personally have done several and I always follow through to the deadline.
Thank you for the input. I am even being very generous and offering the balance back after they sell again. Only to get more threatening emails...

Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
WingedWolf
This is why it's always a good idea to have your policies posted on your site, or stated clearly when you set the transaction up. The more complete they are, the fewer problems there will be with things like this.

Was this possibility discussed at all before you set up the transaction?

I actually think your offer to return the balance after the animals sell is generous, but to prevent a future problem...write out your policies.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
azalinx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
This is why it's always a good idea to have your policies posted on your site, or stated clearly when you set the transaction up. The more complete they are, the fewer problems there will be with things like this.

Was this possibility discussed at all before you set up the transaction?

I actually think your offer to return the balance after the animals sell is generous, but to prevent a future problem...write out your policies.

I done have a site just a small hobbyist, but you are correct in having all policies laid out.
Yes this was discussed and stated that if a payment was missed then a default would need to be corrected or the agreement will be void.

I dont want to take advantage of someones misfortune nor do I wanted to be taken advantage of.

Thank you for the input

Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Casey Hulse
If you did not specify that a portion, or all of it were "NONREFUNDABLE" I do not think you can or should keep it. Try to get your feeding costs out of it, but return the rest. Then write up a fair payment policy.
If a buyer had the animals nearly paid off, then suffered a "catastrophy" and needed to back out of the deal, you would be a "heel" if you kept all of their money...

Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
azalinx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse View Post
If you did not specify that a portion, or all of it were "NONREFUNDABLE" I do not think you can or should keep it. Try to get your feeding costs out of it, but return the rest. Then write up a fair payment policy.
If a buyer had the animals nearly paid off, then suffered a "catastrophy" and needed to back out of the deal, you would be a "heel" if you kept all of their money...
I agree. They had half paid off then had something supposedly happen. This is why I offered the balance as a buy out option.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Casey Hulse
It is a tough situation you are in. You have to decide if you are going to be a "hardass" or a nice guy. You would not have posted here if you were a hardass, so I think you'll sleep better if you give them their $$ back.
These types of things happen quite often when you sell animals online, so you really need a clear policy that you attach to emails in the future. Go to some successful businesses (reptiles), and read their "deposit payment plan policies", and work with them..Good luck!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Southern Wolf
This is what I have in my TOS

Quote:
Payment plans will be considered on a case by case basis. Conditions of the payment plan will be confirmed via email. If a payment plan is approved then a 25% non-refundable deposit is required and the normal duration of the payment plan is four (4) months. If at any time you can not complete the transaction, your payments will be refunded minus the initial 25% non-refundable deposit.
However if you didn't have a TOS or some sort of agreement to the payment plan... then even though its a headache... you really cant keep the payments. Like someone else suggested.... try and get upkeep costs... then refund the rest.

The reason I now have that in my TOS is because of what you are going thru.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
My TOS on this subject...

PAYMENT/RESERVATIONS/DEPOSITS Payment is required in advance by PayPal, Credit Card, or Cashiers check / Postal money order. Checks and M.O. must clear before reptile is shipped. Due to the quality of the reptiles produced at Sublime Boa Constrictor, a 25% deposit is required to reserve these reptiles. If a reservation has been made, it will immediately be posted as such on My available page. You the buyer have 60 days to complete the transaction, or deposit will be forfeit, and non refundable. At that point the reptile will be re-listed as for sale. Deposits are refundable only if I cannot fulfill your order, or other arrangements have been made. If in the event a different deal has been arranged with Me, it will be discussed in private, and agreed upon before the transaction begins to take place. All monetary transactions must be completed before reptile is shipped, unless otherwise arranged with Me.

Make yourself a terms page, and make all prospective buyers state in an email that they read and understood them. Cover your butt.

If you don't have something that states it was non refundable, some written conversation of sorts, then you could have an issue on your hands. Perhaps working out a deal with them to refund ½ the moneys sent thus far. Take it as a learning lesson and make yourself a terms of Service that you can print and give to buyers, or attach to email conversations and such or put it on your web site as a must read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!