Western hingeback price?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
KellyWood23
Western hingeback price??

A little off the wall question, but does anyone have an idea what an adult, extremely long term captive male Western Hingeback Tortoise (Kinixys belliana nogueyi) Would cost?
I have researched, but since they are rare now I am coming up empty.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
I do not know if there is a standard price, but $400 to $600+ for a male would not phase me in the slightest if I wanted to work with the species. I would spend more for a female without batting an eye if I needed one for a project.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
KellyWood23
Thanks Nick! That is what I was figuring, but wanted to make sure.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
nickolasanastasiou
Glad if it helped.

When stuff like that comes in in a wave of imports (they will likely be called "farmed" in such a scenario because it makes people feel better more than any other reason), they can be had for cheaper, but I have no idea when that sort of thing is coming in. One also gets to contend with a pretty heavy parasite load with a lot of those animals, too. The benefit of missing those waves is you may be left with the strongest of the animals brought in. Those which outlasted their brethren. Can make for an induced selection bias, which is an interesting tangential topic.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
KellyWood23
The Western Hingeback is no longer being imported and have not been imported for years. That is why they are so hard to find. I think people have just recently started a breeding conservation for them.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
nickolasanastasiou
Well, the belliana belliana have not been due to the whole heartwater thing, but some spekii and nogueyi did come in in the last couple of years (sometimes mixed together). I was potentially interested last year when there was a smattering here and there, but everything I found was too small then relative to what I wanted.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
KellyWood23
Wow, did not realize that the nogueyi were still coming in.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyWood23 View Post
Wow, did not realize that the nogueyi were still coming in.
Not many. Just a few in the shipments I was interested in. Misidentified, probably. Kind of like how homeana and erosa often had (and sometimes still have) mislabeling issues.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
KellyWood23
Ah yes. There is allot of mis identification when it comes to things like that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!