Factors that influence fertilization? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-19-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
SquanGeckos
Factors that influence fertilization?

Can anyone tell me if there are any other factors that might influence fertilization of eggs after copulation? So far i have come up with the following...

1. age of leos
2. supplements of vitamins and calcium
3. diet - nutrition
4. leos perception of season

i witnessed copulation multiple times during normal breeding season and successfully incubated several fertile eggs, but most of the eggs laid were not or showed no signs of fertility but otherwise looked normal and healthy. I incubated them anyway. There were no signs of dead embryos. i'm working to increase fertilization for next season...am i missing anything that i might be able to improve on? Has anyone else ever had a similar situation? If so, how did you improve it?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Michael Frost

surfgecko.net

Old 10-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
riverjop
ok

well! first of all...Temperature! and Humidity!

Old 10-20-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
SquanGeckos
riverjob,

temperature and humidity of the geckos after mating or of the incubating eggs?

I've got incubating down pretty well...consistant temp staying in the mid-lower 80s using an hovabator and humidity around 80% using vermiculite.

leos experience ambient humidity, ambient (room temp) on cool side and about 90 degrees on warm side.

thanks for your help!

michael

Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
USAGECKOS
How about their weights, females should be at least 55 grams before breeding.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
riverjop
OH after copulation and before laying....got it! LOL
But it could still have a definate affect!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!