Cobra on the loose in California - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #1
dieselfan
Cobra on the loose in California

Another "black eye" for all of us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rnia/15042493/

Old 09-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
j_dunlavy
you beat me to the post.
Just an example of why I keep harping that venomous keepers need to be extremely careful, and extremely strict on sales. (not to say that most are not careful; most are very careful)

If it is from a keeper with a permit, allowing an escape and not reporting it is just irresponsible and negligent; If this was an illegal pet, not only is it irresponsible of the owner, it could fall down to the seller if they knowingly sold to someone who cannot legally keep it.
The fact that it bit a dog will really not help with pro snake PR either.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but Please tighten things up if you keep venomous snakes; revisit your protocols, double check that your enclosures and snake room are escape proofed, etc.

Full text:

Venomous Albino Cobra on the Loose for Days in Southern California
By KAMI DIMITROVA 13 hours ago Good Morning America

The snake was originally identified by a dog owner owner after the snake reportedly attacked his dog and sent him to the hospital in critical condition Monday night.

The search team is focusing on the vicinity of the dog attack on 1300 block of Rancho Lane, ABC's Los Angeles station KABC reported. The snake is most active during morning or evening hours when it is cooler, experts said.

Officials were notified Tuesday evening that the snake was on the loose. They do not know how long it’s been out or where it came from.

The species is not native to California and it is illegal to own a monocled cobra without a permit, authorities said.

The dog that was bitten has since recovered, authorities said, noting that no other injuries have been reported.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
j_dunlavy
they caught it

full text:
Albino cobra captured in California neighborhood

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — A deadly albino cobra that ran loose for days in a Southern California neighborhood was captured Thursday.

"We are overjoyed. We are glad that the public was not harmed," Los Angeles County spokesman Brandon Dowling said after county animal control officers nabbed the monocled cobra shortly after 3 p.m.

Television reports showed officers using a long-handled tong-like grabber to haul the snake from a pile of scrap lumber in a backyard and put it in a long wooden box. It was taken to an animal shelter.

The snake didn't go quietly, though.

"Once we grabbed it, it was afraid of us so it tried to strike at us," animal control officer Fred Agoopi said. "But we had the proper equipment and were able to handle it."

Los Angeles County handles animal control duties for this Ventura County town.

The venom of the cobra is a neurotoxin that can kill within an hour. However, it wasn't immediately clear whether the albino snake — which apparently escaped from captivity — still had its venom glands, authorities said.

The snake, which is several feet long, had been on the loose since at least Monday evening, when it reportedly bit a dog. However, the veterinarian who treated the animal said it appeared that the dog wasn't bitten but was hurt while trying to escape the snake, KNBC-TV reported.

County animal control officers and state wildlife officials poked through bushes and checked woodpiles, concentrating their searches during cooler morning and evening hours when the snake was more likely to be up and around.

There were no more confirmed sightings of the snake until Thursday afternoon, when it was seen slithering in the same Rancho Lane area where it originally was spotted.

Tanya Gray saw it crossing the road. She kept an eye on it but didn't approach. "It wasn't my job to stop it or catch it," she told KCAL-TV.

"It was just shocking because I didn't think I'd be the one to find it," a youngster, Simona Lucchina, told KABC-TV. "We were just driving by and my dad was showing me 'this is where they lost the snake' and all of the sudden we just saw it. It was a big coincidence."

Before the snake was captured, authorities had warned residents to keep an eye on their children, to keep pets indoors and to call 911 if they spotted it.

Those who live in the neighborhood, which is surrounded by snake-friendly brush and wilderness areas, weren't panicked by the intruder.

"I think we're all a bit concerned, but growing up in an area where there are rattlesnakes, it's probably not quite as scary," said Susan McGrath, who lives several doors away from where the dog reportedly was bitten.

However, the cobra became a mini-media sensation and at least three Twitter accounts were started in its name. One, AlbinoMonocledCobra, had nearly 250 followers by Thursday afternoon.

After the capture, AlbinoMonocledCobra tweeted: "It's over, folks. #SendBail$$$."

The monocled cobra is native to Southeast Asia, parts of India and China, and it can grow to 4 feet or more. Its name derives from a circle or ring on the back of its hood.

Cobras are illegal to own in California except for educational and scientific purposes, and a permit is required.

The cobra apparently escaped from captivity, although authorities had not found the owner. Dowling said Thursday that investigators are following "a few leads" on where the snake came from.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
1995sportster883
Thank God it all ended without incident. The last thing the reptile, and "exotic" animal community needs is another "vicious" snake attack. And don't you love the way the media spins the dog being attacked, and in critical condition? Got to love the media....

Adam

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!