got a beta - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
ladyserpent7
got a beta

so i come home from work a few days ago and all of a sudden i have a new pet beta..wasnt really expecting it,,it was a present..actually...they gave it to me on thursday night and i just found out today..sunday night...cuz i went out of town.....soooo..does anybody have any pointers on how to care for a beta...how much do they eat, how often, etc. ,,thanks for the tips

Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
Put him in at least a half gallon container. 1G would be better. Change the water once a week, feed him betta bites type food(small granules) and he should only require 6-10 granules a day. If he doesn't eat as many as you give him(i.e. you give 10 and he eats 6) then cut back the amount. They like to have live plants in the tank as well, but it isn't necessary. They require no airation. Do NOT use the plant/betta vase without feeding him and cleaning the water once a week, and be sure of how much actual space he has.
They like warmer water, so don't sit him next to a AC unit, and I think that's the basics.
Wolfy

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
ladyserpent7
hes in a bowl and has bamboo sticks in it w/ rocks and seashells on the bottom..is that too small, cuz thats what a usually see them in.....so they eat everyday?..my uncle told me to feed it once a week...

Old 08-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
I had a betta live for like... 3-4 years and he just recently passed away. I had him in a small 1g critter tank thing, with live plants * a must * and i rarely changed the water. the nitrites and nitrates were always perfect in the tank... and actually i think weekly water changes are more stressful than anything.

This is just My Opinion though. when i did the weekly changes, i could barely keep them alive for a year. then i just let this one SIT. and he was fine for a really long time! so i dunno.
Theres also really cool tanks at petco that have the biowheel filters... maybe you should check those out too. Theve got the "Mini" biowheel. very cool....

Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
ladyserpent7
filters???i dont think this bowl has any filters..ive never seen them in an actual fish tank before..just little things, but i think mine likes to eat the bamboo, thats what my uncle told me

Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Reptileking636
im not sure you should listen to your uncle, betas do not eat bamboo, and they should be fed more than once a week

Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Wolfy-hound
The reason the betta eats the bamboo is because he is hungry. Betta are carniverous. Like I said a half gallon at least. With live plants you can do without as many water changes, but with only bamboo, or other terrestrial plant, do the water changes.
Feed him a few grains of betta style food once a day.
Wolfy

Old 10-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
samthefish
Talking had other fish before but male betta is my favorite

I used to have more fish. Now I only have Sam my all red male betta fish. I just didn't want a big fish tank anymore. I've always loved male bettas. I've had Sam since July 1st of this year. I also own two cats Morris & Shadow who mostly ignore Sam. (Don't worry he has a lid on his half gallon aquarium. Did some research on Petco. Average size 2 1/2 inches not including tail. Diet: food mayve flaked, tablet, or frozen. Bettas are primarily protein eaters & can't survive eating plant roots. Mine eats BettaMin made by Tetra & freeze dried blood worms twice a week. Housing:
Bettas must be able to breathe from surface of water with little or no movement. Aquarium should never be in direct sunlight or a drafty are. Temperature range should be 64 to 82 F. Habitat Maintenance: Complete water change once or twice weekly for small bowls/aquariums. Larger aquariums 10-25% water change every two to four weeks. Compatibility: Male bettas must be kept in individual tanks or be the only betta in a community aquarium. Signs of healthy fish: Active & alert, vibrant colors, eats eagerly, & acts agressively to outside stimulus. Signs of illness:
loss of appetite, labored breathing, frayed fins, spots or fungus on body or mouth, listlessness & staying at bottom of tank. Good luck & hope this helps. Feel free to do your own internet search

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!