Finally! Back on feed! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Redneck_Crow
Finally! Back on feed!

My three witches have been refusing about 90% of the time since early Feb, and this week has been makeup time. They all went back on feed with a vengance, and all within two days of each other.

The smallest one is the pied at 1250, the big het pied is 1600+ and the pastel yb is just shy of 1500. They are all late '10s so I'm planning on breeding them for the first time this fall.

I was looking at the pied thinking what's going on with you? She got skinny looking in the space of a month. So I weighed her and she was only down 20gms from the month before. It wasn't till I put her in the spare rat bin with the others so I could clean their bins that I figured it out. She has gotten way longer in the space of a month. If I can just fatten her up now before fall...

Old 07-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
snowgyre
I'm in the same boat as you. Most of my females are off feed, or on/off feed. I've got three girls who will be ready to go this fall (also late 2010s). Pretty exciting stuff! Good luck!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
FireStorm
I bet they'll be huge by the fall. Ours are just coming back on feed as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
pythonpaintjobs
I hate it when they go off feed. Especially when they do it like in September or October right before I start introductions, but that's ball pythons! Good luck with them!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Breaking Balls
Mine have all been slamming. I'm actually running low on rats and I produce my own! Crazy. This is when mine start eating up for the coming season. Good luck Deb! Good looking group of girls

Regards,

B

Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Redneck_Crow
Thanks, y'all!

I'm starting to figure out the pairups. The pied and the het are going in with my pied male, he's 600gms now so he'll be ready. He just went off feed, he apparantly finally determined what females are and now he's very interested in them.

The pastel yb, I'm not so sure about. I might go for pied hets or if my jigsaw gets up to size I might let him try. It's not the greatest odds, but I've really been wanting a lemonblast.

I'm also keeping my eye out for a big normal for my dinker male. I plan on getting a couple of single gene females this year to grow out and try him out on in the future. If my mojo female gets up to size I might toss him in with her, but it's doubtful because she's a mouser.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
snowgyre
I've got a yellowbelly who is a mouser too! Irritating beyond belief, especially since she's the only snake in my collection that will absolutely under no circumstances take f/t, and I don't have the space to breed rodents to feed her specifically. She's the most expensive snake to care for considering I blow $8 a week on live mice at the pet shop for her! I'm waiting for her to get to breeding weight, breed her to my male calico, replace her with one of her female offspring, and then sell her off to someone who actually breeds mice for their collection. So much hassle!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
dumje
Ive got 4 right now that will only eat ASF's....so I have a pair of ASF's as pets...and I keep a regular rat in the cage with them for a day...then offer it for food to 1 of them....and they take it down hard...almost everytime!!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Redneck_Crow
I just got a pair of ASFs this past week.

I'm going to try the mouser on them when they start breeding. I'm not so wild about having to raise two feeder species, particularly when one of them is known to like to bite the hand that feeds it, but the mice have to go. I can't stand the way they reek.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
snowgyre
Do ASFs not smell as bad as mice? I really don't want to start raising mice due to the smell, but I don't quite have the space to get rats going either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!