R.I.P. Chase - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I'm very sorry for your loss, Diem. And I understand your concern for your older Shih-tzu.
When I had to put Kronas (the original Kdog), I absolutely did not want another dog...but I watched my Presa, Blade, decline in his mourning. Blade had never been alone before, and he was already old for his breed; the loss of his companion seemed to suck the life out of him, and I couldn't bear the thought of losing him so soon after Kronas. I went on a search - I'll spare the story, lol - and the new Kdog quickly brought Blade around. He only lived another 18 months...but they were a happy 18 months.
Yes, I have heard such stories more than once and it concerns me.

We have three other dogs as of right now. The Shih-tzu, my German Shepherd and the rescue stray we never intended on keeping for more than a few more months (this may change now). The concern is, Sky is not as attached to these dogs as she was Chase. We had initially gotten Chase as quickly as we did after we married because Sky had been separated from an older dog named Star when I chose to take her with me when I moved out. Star and Sky had been together for six years at that point. Sky was very depressed without her. The same symptoms presented, but when we got Chase, she became her normal self.

Sky gets along with the other two, but she is older and they are younger and their playfulness annoys her.

I do not think another dog is the solution for her. I just have to hope my old girl can hang in there. She is eleven, but for a Shih-tzu, that is not incredibly old. As of now, she is a perfectly healthy dog, but losing the will to survive can destroy any creature physically. I made the hard decision to go through the house and wash anything that was Chase's and steam clean the carpets in hopes to remove his scent from a lot of things, but this has not stopped Sky from just lying around on his bed.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
KelliH
I'm so sorry for your loss. Chase looked like a sweetheart. I've got two "boxer children" of my own and the thought of losing either of them makes my eyes well up.

Going by what you told us about Chase's symptoms, it almost sounds like had had Bloat, which is a serious risk for boxers because they are so deep chested. I always worry about it with my two.

(Hugs) to you and your other doggy children.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. Chase looked like a sweetheart. I've got two "boxer children" of my own and the thought of losing either of them makes my eyes well up.

Going by what you told us about Chase's symptoms, it almost sounds like had had Bloat, which is a serious risk for boxers because they are so deep chested. I always worry about it with my two.

(Hugs) to you and your other doggy children.
Thank you.

I do not think it was bloat, neither did the vet. Bloat would not explain the pooling of blood on a cellular level in his forearms, chest and throat (the theory was, a tumor or some type of growth had shifted and moved to block proper blood flow in his veins). He also had normal sounds coming from his GI tract when the emergency vet. and his regular vet. listened and his heart sounded normal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!