sick box turtles from Box turtle Mania - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
beronio
sick box turtles from Box turtle Mania

I purchased three female box turtles from Box Turtle Mania. One got sick shortly after it arrived. It has two swollen eyes and a runny nose. Then another one got sick after that and has the same symptoms. I emailed Boxturtlemania about the first one and never got a response. This is upsetting to me as I have spent a lot of money trying to treat these sick turtles and nothing is helping. Any suggestions on how to treat sick box turtle before they die. My last resort will be to go toa vet and pay a fortune.

I am disgusted with Boxturtle mania for sending me sick turtles.

J beronio
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
pigeonss
sick box

hi i would take them to a vet box turtles are hard to keep when you buy them as wild caught bruce

Old 10-27-2004, 02:25 AM   #3
ewcec
Boxturtlemania

Hi, Sorry to see your message.
I believe you need to get some antibiotic medicine for your sick turtle. Try to check the website for more info. www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

I tried to deal with Boxturtlemania about 2 months ago and feel they seems not really honest on the deal.

Good luck on your turtles.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
critical bill
Re: sick box turtles from Box turtle Mania

Try emailing him under his new business name. Herpsunlimited@yahoo.com

I wont comment on what I received from the same seller. I have posted all over the internet on several sites regarding my experience. Do the search and you'll be very surprised as to what you will read.

Also, youre stating his old seller name wrong. It is boxieturtlemania and boxturtlemania. Owners are Carlos Monday and Shannon Leonard.

Quote:
Originally posted by beronio
I purchased three female box turtles from Box Turtle Mania. One got sick shortly after it arrived. It has two swollen eyes and a runny nose. Then another one got sick after that and has the same symptoms. I emailed Boxturtlemania about the first one and never got a response. This is upsetting to me as I have spent a lot of money trying to treat these sick turtles and nothing is helping. Any suggestions on how to treat sick box turtle before they die. My last resort will be to go toa vet and pay a fortune.

I am disgusted with Boxturtle mania for sending me sick turtles.

J beronio

Old 10-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
KellyWood23
sick boxies

I am in the process of treating 4 sick boxies right now. They had the same symptoms such as the swollen eyes and bubbles in the nose.

They have an upper respiritory infection.

You will need to obtain injectible medication called Baytril from you vet and the proper dosage is based on the weight of the box turtles.

My vet gives injections for 3 days and then every other day for 14 days so basically, 10 shots in all. If you do not know how to give shots, then your vet should show you how to do it. And the shots are given in the front legs.

For now, make sure you give the boxies at least a 20 min. soak in warm water everyday to keep them from getting dehydrated and also make sure you keep them warm.

I hope this helps in some way.

Kelly Wood

Old 10-27-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
sissy
Re: Re: sick box turtles from Box turtle Mania

Quote:
Originally posted by critical bill
Try emailing him under his new business name. Herpsunlimited@yahoo.com

I wont comment on what I received from the same seller. I have posted all over the internet on several sites regarding my experience. Do the search and you'll be very surprised as to what you will read.

Also, youre stating his old seller name wrong. It is boxieturtlemania and boxturtlemania. Owners are Carlos Monday and Shannon Leonard.
Hello I would like you to email me please i would like you to talk to me about someone email is littleplaygirl13@yahoo.com thanks

Old 10-29-2004, 05:38 AM   #7
exoticfauna
sick box turtles from Box turtle Mania

You should try to ask them how were they keeping the box turtles. If the turtles were keeping outside pen, there are possibility that they were going to hibernate. I'm in California, but the Temp is dropping down to about 45F for these days at night. If the turtles were going hibernation, that symptoms is pretty normal except runny nose. They produce a lot of milky liquid in their eyes, then trying to seal the eyes, and that makes swallen eyes sometime. They won't eat anything even if they opened their eyes after you gave them a warm bath. They already shut down their systems, so if they were getting into hibernation, giving a warm bath or fouce feeding are bad idea. It could break their cicle systems, and killing them. Just leave them outside, and put some organic soils about 3 feet high. I hope this could help you and make you feel better. I'm sorry about my poor English, but I just wanted to tell you about this.

Exotic Fauna

S. Nakayama

Old 10-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
ladyroze
sick boxies

I have been raising boxies for over 20 years. It is NOT normal for them to get swollen eyes at hibernation time. These turtles need Baytril, heat, and humidity ASAP! The worst thing you could do is put them outside in the cold. That would be ensuring a quick death. These turtles will die without immediate treatment. I am involved in turtle rescue and deal with these symptoms frequently. The Baytril is a MUST. If you do not want to spend the money on a vet, I would be more than willing to take the turtles for the cost of shipping. Please contact me at turtleloveranch@aol.com

Old 10-29-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
exoticfauna
Sick Box

Hi again,

Maybe Sandie Escobar is right. I was just explaining how my animals do. When they sealed eyes, if I tryed to force to open it, they get swallen eyes, after their hybernation, they come out as normal. Anyway, this is just my 15 yeas of experience, so please ask doctor. Thanks.

Exotic Fauna

Old 10-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #10
critical bill
Re: sick boxies

Thank you my dear. I was going to post a similar reply. The turtles in question, like mine, were purchased from the same seller so there is a definite pattern to the sickness and condition these animals are received in. I do know first hand that they were wild caught and were left in outdoor pens to feed on a main diet of orchard grass. The ones I received were not only sick but they had massive shell fractures and deep holes. According to the vet I see, he explained that these holes represent the tools to remove them from the ground when the collectors will not wait until they emerge from hibernation. Literally they are dragged from thier burrows with tong like tools. It has now cost me far more than what I had bargained for but its the least I can do. I feel that with my purchase I have contibuted in some way to these cruel and illegal methods of collection. My next visit to the vet will be to do some "Bondo" type patches on thier shells which I am told will cost me another small fortune.

I echo the sentiments of this poster. If you cannot afford the vet bills please contact me at saveourangel@aol.com and leave a message for chuck or maggie.

I will gladly have Fedex arrange a pick up on my account at no cost to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyroze
I have been raising boxies for over 20 years. It is NOT normal for them to get swollen eyes at hibernation time. These turtles need Baytril, heat, and humidity ASAP! The worst thing you could do is put them outside in the cold. That would be ensuring a quick death. These turtles will die without immediate treatment. I am involved in turtle rescue and deal with these symptoms frequently. The Baytril is a MUST. If you do not want to spend the money on a vet, I would be more than willing to take the turtles for the cost of shipping. Please contact me at turtleloveranch@aol.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread