Bali chameleon farm and park - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2003, 12:32 AM   #1
Dingo
Bali chameleon farm and park

Dont know quite how I feel about this yet. It seems as though the biggest problem I have with it is the kind of backdoor, loophole way that the owner has obtained his breeders.

He obtained a rather large number of a few different calluma species with legal export papers from Madagascar officials as well as legal import papers from Indonesia officials. Despite the recommendations of CITES for participating nations(including Indonesia) to cease importation of these species.

Will the offspring of these animals be allowed to legally enter the U.S.? They wont be imported from Madagascar wild populations as the CITES recommendation dictates. But what about Indonesias standing as far as a member country of CITES? Will their disregard for the recommendations effect their export capabilities?

I probably wont know for sure how I feel about this until I have the first legally available Parsonii offspring staring me in the eyes.
Anybody else have any feelings on this issue?

Old 01-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
JasonDescamps
While the CITES treaty does make recommendations that these species not be traded internationally these are indeed legal animals in Indonesia. Now the big question is will they be allowed in the US? I have my doubts, but Duncan seems to think he will have no problem so we'll just have to wait a few more weeks and see.

On a whole though I do like the idea and the model that they are using for the chameleon farm. I believe that this could be a way to promote these animals in their native habitat and maybe slow down the deforrestation and explotation of these animals.

The farm the Josh and Kenn Mease partner with is a very good example of this type of chameleon farming working for everyone.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
Dingo
It shall be interesting indeed to see if they can enter the US.

I agree with you Jason that this farm, if successful, will relieve some pressure from the wild collecting and poaching activities that are going on.

I dont understand how you think that it will help with the deforestation though. Its been my understanding that the deforestation mostly has been caused by growing populations of people and farming. Could you clarify?

The Mease/CRG project is a success in my eyes. It is a win-win I believe. Very ethically done and a great improvement on import/export practices. I commend their efforts to make a necessary change.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
JasonDescamps
I should have clarified that. My hope (maybe a bit of a stretch) is that a farm like the one in Bali or Tanzania would help promote education and conservation among the local people. Madagascar is too far gone I'm afraid for anything to be much help. but some of the other countries still have a bit of hope. However I feel that deforrestation is going to continue no matter what people try to do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!