Eastern Box Turtle sales - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Serafim
Eastern Box Turtle sales

Hello Everyone

I recently saw several sales ads advertising eastern box turtles for sale on this site. Curious if special permits are required to sale an animal protected by state law. The ads have been removed but The original links can be provided not sure if they can be restored by the admins. I considered posting as a BOI thread but was unsure if special permits are available and if it would be something you would advertise in the sales ad.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Donald C
In Va, I know that it is illegal to sell native wildlife in almost all cases. I can't speak for other states, but I think it is probably the same, as I haven't seen a hint of them for sale at any shows I have been to.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Serafim
I know we can keep them here as pets but cannot breed them if wild caught and sales is a no go. I was just curious how one proves they are captive bred and not simply collected and sold.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
boomsloth
I'm a little late to the thread but it depends on the state. Some states prohibit any possession of them without an in depth paper trail to prove they were obtained legally. They also may have annual random household visits to check to make sure everything checks out. Other states allow you to have as many as you want whether they are wild caught or not and the rest of the states are somewhere in between both extremes. I know New Jersey laws allow you to possess any captive bred box turtle with a permit and you can breed them with another permit. Florida allows two eastern species with no breeding being done and hits you with a hefty fine for taking any from the wild. The Florida laws are a little vague because it just references "box turtle" which can be any of the 3-4 subspecies found in Florida.

It's a shame that with good intentions sometimes the wrong outcome happens. It's not generally known that these turtles shouldn't be taken from the wild because they usually suffer worse than a typical pond turtle in both being a pet and their local populations. The amount of breeders focused on the pet trade have very limited amounts each year so finding any for sale is a challenge meaning many people just go out and grab what they see in the wild. These turtles require knowledge on not only their habitat but also diet and uvb lighting. They should only be kept by those with the knowledge and space to house them correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!