Home owner's insurance for home reptile business?'s - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Killer Chams
Thanks for the heads up on Lloyds. I am looking for land now to build a new home and a large building for my collection will also be built seperately. So I will be looking for coverage in the coming months and this will give me another option when I start getting quotes.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
Lloyds is one of those companies that will insure just about anything for a price.
(they insure body parts of celebrities - http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...or_famous.html)
Good luck!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Lucille
I wonder how much John Holmes' premiums were?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
brd7666
I wouldn't even tell my insurance company I was running a reptile business. I've heard of insurance companies dropping people for having larger snakes. They won't insure the animals anyway, so why bother telling them.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
I wouldn't even tell my insurance company I was running a reptile business. I've heard of insurance companies dropping people for having larger snakes. They won't insure the animals anyway, so why bother telling them.
I just recently switched home owners insurance to State Farm because the rates with Nationwide are atrocious and they went through a list of "exotic" animals (including snakes) that were on their prohibited list. I played dumb because it was ridiculous and what's it to them? Rabbits were on the list? Why would the deny someone insurance because they have a rabbit?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Rabbits were on the list? Why would the deny someone insurance because they have a rabbit?
Rabbits are an increased property damage risk since they are known to cause damage to wiring and other parts of the household like chewing on drywall (plus there's liability if the rabbit bites someone). Usually pets are just excluded under the policy but again, if the company is specificaly made aware that they exist in the household, the ins. co. may deny coverage completely, especially for anything considered exotic (rodents, reptiles, fish, bird).

oh the joy of insurance!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Rabbits are an increased property damage risk since they are known to cause damage to wiring and other parts of the household like chewing on drywall (plus there's liability if the rabbit bites someone). Usually pets are just excluded under the policy but again, if the company is specificaly made aware that they exist in the household, the ins. co. may deny coverage completely, especially for anything considered exotic (rodents, reptiles, fish, bird).

oh the joy of insurance!
Anything has the potential to bite...My son went through a biting phase...It's just silly...My rabbits are caged outside with no access to the interior of my property, so that excuse it out the window.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
sbender99
I don't know many people that haven't had a rodent get loose at one point or another even with the best of racks. Of course we caught them right away because we have a cat that pointed them out very quickly - Thanks Callie! But left unfound, they could do some serious damage to a house's wiring.

Years ago, when I had two snakes and buying food wasn't an issue, I picked up a teddy bear hamster that was on sale and made the dumb mistake of not going straight home. The hamster of course ate through the thin little tote box, then proceeded to eat through the floor carpet of my brand new car, and then started eating through wires under the midseat console. I had to take the whole middle console out completely to get to him and then solder the wires back together. I ENJOYED feeding that rodent off to my snake soooo much. Muuhahahahaha LOL. So yeah they can cause damage.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
Killer Chams
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
If you want your equipment covered and the building covered by insurance you have to tell them what the building is used for. If you want general liability coverage for your company again you have to tell the company what business activities you perform. If you have both needs commercial property and commercial liability. You can combine both policies into one in most instances and thats called a commercial business owners policy or BOP for short. Thats what most of us should have on our business. Not many do, but if your ever sued for anything having that coverage can save your ass.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
jmwboas
I'll stick to good ole' Smith and Wesson Insurance. They seem to have the best rates($.25 a claim) and are always at my side! LOL All joking aside, this thread is making me call the insurance agent and have a chat today. My curiousity has been peeked and Im curious as to how things are here in Ohio on this. Thanks! Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!