snake that mimics Monocled cobra - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
ottopit
snake that mimics Monocled cobra

Looking to work with Monocled cobras, can anyone give advice on what non-venomous they used to practice that would be somewhat familiar
in speed,size or temperament or all the above but nastier than a naja kaouthia

I have heard king rat snakes and tiger rat snakes, anyone have an opinion on this.

Just wanting to work with the "tools of the trade"(hooking,shiftboxs etc..) for a few years and hopefully find a mentor or volunteer to further my training.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
ottopit
So nobody wants to touch this one huh? afraid another newbie may make a bad decision and draw more unwanted attention to there exclusive hobby,eh?
I know any venomous snake is a giant step up from an asian rat snake or mean spirited racer and requires years of training with an experienced keeper,access to antivenin, established protocol, etc etc etc and I don't plan on working with an ornery non-venomous snake and then rushing out and buying a king cobra or mamba; everyone has to start somewhere thought this would be a good place...guess you already have to be part of the venomous club to get someone to talk to you.
Alright, rant over...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Rjhjthomps
the closest to a cobra would probably be a drymarchon spp, I've been told there might've been some kind of either convergent or divergent process in evolution between the cobras and drymarchon, they are both very intelligent and often said to be similar to cobras genetically and behaviorally when handled.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
ottopit
I really appreciate your response thank you

Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Tim Cole
Could you address the legal issues of keeping a cobra in Colorado? My understanding is that this is very difficult in your state. Is there a permit available? If so, do you have it?

In my mind, this issue comes first before considering keeping the snake.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
timebider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
Could you address the legal issues of keeping a cobra in Colorado? My understanding is that this is very difficult in your state. Is there a permit available? If so, do you have it?

In my mind, this issue comes first before considering keeping the snake.
I agree wholeheartedly, but it sounds like he's wanting to keep a non-venomous species whose behavior would mimic that of a cobra.

Get yourself a WC tiger rat. Mine were meaner than a sack full of rattlesnakes.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopit View Post
So nobody wants to touch this one huh? afraid another newbie may make a bad decision and draw more unwanted attention to there exclusive hobby,eh?
I know any venomous snake is a giant step up from an asian rat snake or mean spirited racer and requires years of training with an experienced keeper,access to antivenin, established protocol, etc etc etc and I don't plan on working with an ornery non-venomous snake and then rushing out and buying a king cobra or mamba; everyone has to start somewhere thought this would be a good place...guess you already have to be part of the venomous club to get someone to talk to you.
Alright, rant over...
This has been addressed several times over the years - at this point, for me, lack of response has less to do with exclusivity than with you being impatient and sarcastic. Why no response to the legality question?? Or don't you plan on concerning yourself with such things?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
ottopit
@ Tim, I understand your concern and definitely would go through legal channels and in no way wish to bring any unwanted attention to the keeping of hots.
Yes, its extremely difficult if not impossible to keep venomous in Colorado, they discourage it for good reason. You have to have a wildlife park designation to even be considered. I have property in Wyoming and am planning on moving there in the near future, no permit required for exotic venomous. In the mean time I had hoped to volunteer at the zoo and hopefully get into a mentorship with a hot keeper in the area, which mat also require a permit, i mean for mentoring.
The reason for not addressing the permit issue was after I got Rjhjthomps' response I didn't look at this thread until tonight, maybe you are being a bit impatient as well huh?
This topic may have been addressed several times but i have never seen a Drymachon mentioned and quite frankly nothing on this forum ever went into any kind of detail as far as species, I may have been impatient, but certainly not sarcastic.. But yeah, for the most part just wanted to hear from others as to what "spawn of satan" non-venomous species of snake they worked with that sharpened their hook handling skills I guess you, hhmoore and Tim Cole, felt like you didn't need to give your advice, just interrogate me on whether I knew my state permit laws

Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Tim Cole
I asked politely without sarcasm, jumping up and down, and screaming.

With the pressures of Animal Rights Groups and ignorant politicians trying to pass laws restricting our passion, interests, and lively hood I do tend to be a bit defensive when I don't know who is asking.

Excuse me for being a responsible hot keeper trying to govern our own before an ignorant government official does it for me!

There really is no substitution animal.

Gaining experience with a mentor is best in my opinion and many others.

Had you mentioned knowing the legalities of Colorado and moving to Wyoming, this thread would have moved along better in the direction you wanted.

As far as I know/knew, you are Colorado Fish & Game on a fishing expedition.

I spent all day yesterday in our state's capitol fighting for herpers rights and privileges...http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=229960.

I don't just talk about it, I do something positive.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
ottopit
Well and with all due respect I didn't know that I had to clearly explain my intentions before posting a question. I understand you are very passionate about people doing the right thing in regards to legality in their state and that's commendable, but instead of teaching it seems more like policing and could have the opposite effect on what you are trying to accomplish in that people will not understand how you are coming across. People don't always like to be governed and told how to conduct their business even if its probably in their best interest.
Sorry most of the negative in my response was directed at hhmoore, which he probably doesn't deserve as well I guess,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!