Why kill squirrels? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
WebSlave
Why kill squirrels?

Yeah, I'm sure some people think I am cruel and heartless killing the poor little squirrelies. And sometimes I second guess myself, especially over the winter months, and think perhaps we can all just get along here.

But then I see the damage these tree rats will do to my bamboo groves. Like today when Connie and I took a walk around the nature trail we have.

Those bamboo shoots were about 2.5 to 3 ft tall, so the squirrel(s) had to climb up them to chew the tips like they did. I have actually seen them climb up a nearby pine tree, then leap over to a 20+ ft bamboo shoot and do the same thing. Which, of course, kills that shoot.

So this just strengthens my resolve to kill every one of them that I can. No remorse. I killed two of them a week or so ago in that bamboo grove, and I thought I had terminated the two causing damage up to that point. And it did seem to stop. But it looks like one or more enterprising tree rats have moved in to take up the slack, as the damage I see looks REAL fresh. Perhaps even just this morning. So back into the hunting blind seen in one of the pictures. And hope I am down there when the perpetrator(s) comes back to continue their feeding.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
WebSlave
So yeah, this is why I hate squirrels. This is my largest bamboo, by far, and they seem to have quite a taste for the new shoots when they come up. Matter of fact, they will actually climb up a nearby pine tree and then leap over to a 20+ foot tall shoot to chew out the top, killing it. So they leave me no choice but to kill them.

Sorry about the fogged picture at the last half. Had a rain storm come in early morning and it apparently got moisture inside the lens. But I had seen enough. On the morning of 04/21, I was in the blind waiting for this critter. And this morning he apparently brought along a friend. So both of them got a free ticket to Squirrel Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1ZxTopIK8

Old 02-07-2021, 01:44 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well this year they REALLY pissed me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLKiiDHktM

Well this year the squirrels decided that our tangerines were pretty tasty and didn't seem very interested in leaving any for us. Not sure if it was just one VERY hungry squirrel or a few of them. They sure seemed to vanish in a hurry, and the trees in that one grove were just about stripped bare of fruit before I set up the hunter's blind and sent one to the happy hunting grounds. Not sure if I got the perpetrator as I saw another one helping itself to one of the other trees after that. When one showed up around the bird feeders around the same time and I made hawk food out of him, I stopped the problem before the Poncan tangerines started to vanish.

Next year I will start earlier keeping an eye on things. Shouldn't be too bad, as it seems between me giving the hawks a taste of squirrel meat and my rifle shooting skills has pretty much wiped the squirrels out around here. Been weeks since I have seen one. I still see at least one hawk stopping by to check for an offering, though.

Oh yeah, the squirrels also stripped our pear trees of fruit this year too. Any of you squirrel huggers out there that want them, come and get them. You are welcome to every last one of them to hug all you want.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:45 AM   #4
Randall Turner
I, for the lack of a better word, enjoy shooting squirrels. They run rampant here and knock power out regularly.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
chrisis697
Squirrels Squirrels Squirrels haha. So for the first yr I actually tried seating Squirrel. Honestly it was great! I had about a dozen or so I froze throughout the yr & jus last hunting season I made 2 Squirrel pies at camp. Followed a basic rabbit pie recipe & it turned out phenomenal. Well for Squirrel haha. I was impressed. So with a Lil extra time involved in killing them they do make a good meal if prepared properly. Good luck guys
Chris

Old 02-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisis697 View Post
Squirrels Squirrels Squirrels haha. So for the first yr I actually tried seating Squirrel. Honestly it was great! I had about a dozen or so I froze throughout the yr & jus last hunting season I made 2 Squirrel pies at camp. Followed a basic rabbit pie recipe & it turned out phenomenal. Well for Squirrel haha. I was impressed. So with a Lil extra time involved in killing them they do make a good meal if prepared properly. Good luck guys
Chris
Ah, but you ARE what you EAT. And since I have now given the hawks around here a taste of squirrel, it could be dangerous for me to become part squirrel.

Besides that, good luck to you getting Connie to gut and skin a squirrel and then throw it into the frying pan.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #7
Socratic Monologue
When I'm out deer hunting, I really enjoy the squirrels. They come right up to me in the tree stand.

In the yard, they're unwelcome and get removed. They dig up plants, and chew holes in the house so they can nest in the attic (true, and awful).

Old 02-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
When I'm out deer hunting, I really enjoy the squirrels. They come right up to me in the tree stand.

In the yard, they're unwelcome and get removed. They dig up plants, and chew holes in the house so they can nest in the attic (true, and awful).
How do you remove the squirrels? I have tried live traps, but that only worked a single time for me. Word spread rapidly among the squirrel grapevine and to this day I never caught another one that way.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
Socratic Monologue
Yes, once in a great while I'll pick one up in a trap, but in summer they aren't hungry enough to go for bait, and in winter they keep to themselves in the woods.

I just hang out in the yard with a .22 rifle. The yard is large, and surrounded by woods, so the ones that are in the yard will often retreat to the trees along the edge and think themselves safe at that distance.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
sschind
When I was a kid we used to use a box trap to catch them. My uncle had rabbits so he always had extra cages and we would catch the squirrels in the box trap and keep them in the rabbit cages until we had a half a dozen or so then we would dispatch them and eat them. Tasted mighty fine if I recall. I do remember once when my sister was about 5 years old we were having squirrel and she was really going to town until she asked what it was and my dad said squirrel. She spit it out and almost gagged. He probably should have said chicken.

I love watching squirrels but I do know how destructive they can be so I don't blame you. Smart little buggers too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!