What is it - Tiliqua scincoides intermedia ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
cornsnakes.eu
Question What is it - Tiliqua scincoides intermedia ?

What is this ?
Tiliqua scincoides intermedia ?

Best regards from Germany

Dirk

Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
HerpsinIN
Those appear to be T. s. intermedia/ T. species (Irian Jaya) mix.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Ed Clark
They are not northerns.

They are Indonesian Blue Tongue's.

I have seen the top pic called a hypo.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
HerpsinIN
When you say skinks are Indonesian are you referring to any skink fro the Indonesian Islands or are you meaning the Indonesian blue tongue skink (Tiliqua gigas gigas)?

If you are referring to a skink which came from Indonesia, then I would agree with you partially. However, if you are referring to T. gigas gigas species, these skinks are not the Indonesian Blue tongue skink.

I will say that the last picture does appear to be the Irian Jaya species (Tiliqua species). However, the ones in the top picture are a clear example of a Northern/Irian Jaya cross.

Tiliqua scincoides intermedia or the Northern blue tongue has what is common referred to as black portholes along the side of its body. these portholes are between the stripes/banding on he back. The Irian Jaya species lacks these port holes as well as all the other skinks from Indonesia (Indonesians, Meraukes, and Kei Islands). When a Northern is crossed with an Irian Jaya, these portholes start to become connected and form a line. This is very noticeable in the patternless skink pictured as well as several of the others in that picture.

Also, another indicator could be the stripes on the tails. The Irian Jayas have very neat and clean banded tails. Northerns on the other hand are quite the opposite. The bands start to break up as you move down the tail.

I can guarantee that the skinks pictured above are NOT Tiliqua gigas gigas (Indonesian blue tongue skink) but I am going to assume that these skinks are Northern and Irian Jaya crosses.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Ed Clark
No they are not Gigas, more than likely Irian Jaya Blue Tongue Skinks.

I would not venture a guess on them being crosses as I have seen too much variation in the Irian Jaya's.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
HerpsinIN
Yes there is a lot of variation in Irian Jayas, which is why they are still not classified and just known as Tiliqua species. However, I have yet to see any Irian Jaya or gigas species to have the port holes that the scincoides have.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
WIguy
man i wish that the US had some blueys like thatQ

Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
pch101
It is hard to say with 100% accuracy. However, if I had to make a call based on the color, pattern, body structure, and the fact that these are in Germany, I would say these were Irian Jaya/Centralian (multifaciata) crosses. Just my thoughts.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
pch101
That being said, I can see some intermedia traits in the patterning as well. It is really impossible to tell for sure what these are for sure other than hybrids of some kind or another...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
George J. Ward
Yes they appear to be crosses and the one in the first photo is a patternless not a hypo. Big difference between the two.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!