Blue tongue skinks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
ShortStack
Blue tongue skinks

I am researching and considering buying a BTS soon. I have been wanting another animal for a while, and since I live at home, I'm having to get something "approved" lol. The BP was out, because I'm not allowed to have a snake in the house. The iggy was out because my dad said once my boyfriend moves down I'll have 1 anyways, so I don't need one. So, someone suggested a BTS. I've been doing some research, and they sound like really good animals. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, ect? Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
fuzzylogix
Blue tongues are great pets in my opinion. Make sure you research breeders and i would definitely suggest purchasing a CB. Mine are very easily handled and my kids can even get them out of their enclosures. I feed mine boiled turkey, hard boiled eggs, mixed leafy greens, superworms, and dubia. Im using shredded aspen and care fresh as substrate and always keep a large water bowl in the enclosure. Im using MVBs for heat and UVB and two hides for each enclosure. Great all around reptile with awesome temperaments and very tolerant to simple husbandry mistakes. If you would like to know more, you can PM me and I will give you a great link to check out for more detailed information.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
ShortStack
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogix View Post
Blue tongues are great pets in my opinion. Make sure you research breeders and i would definitely suggest purchasing a CB.
I talked to a snake breeder here in Jax, and she recommended a place to me that can order them. I will definitley do some more research first. I was also wondering if it's better to order from a breeder or get one from a reptile show. The main plus I can think of to getting one from a show is that I could possibly pick one that I want, as opposed to someone just sending me whatever they pick. I know every animal has their own personality, so I thought picking one would be best. But, I've also heard that not every breeder at a show will let you hold the animals for sanitary reasons, which is understandable. I have never been to a reptile show and we have one coming in May.. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Quote:
Im using shredded aspen and care fresh as substrate and always keep a large water bowl in the enclosure.
I read that they like to burrow a lot, so I'm guessing that because of that, newspaper isn't the best for them. I know a lot of people use them with reptiles because it's cheap and easy, but I don't want to sacrifice what's best for the specific animal just to save a few bucks and a few minutes of cleaning.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
groomingdiva
Check out

www.bluetongueskink.net

There is a ton of info and really great people on there.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
fuzzylogix
most blue tongues at shows will be wc, so i would recommend buying from a breeder. as far as the substrate they do like to burrow so newspaper isn't great, but it also depends on the age. some people will only use newspaper for hatchlings and young juvies, then change over to aspen or care fresh when they are older. also you should know that at most shows the animals are cold and lethargic so it's not a great indicator of their personalities, but most blueys are still going to be handleable. im sending you a link of a great resource for more research.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
ShortStack
Quote:
most blue tongues at shows will be wc, so i would recommend buying from a breeder. as far as the substrate they do like to burrow so newspaper isn't great, but it also depends on the age. some people will only use newspaper for hatchlings and young juvies, then change over to aspen or care fresh when they are older. also you should know that at most shows the animals are cold and lethargic so it's not a great indicator of their personalities, but most blueys are still going to be handleable. im sending you a link of a great resource for more research.
Ahh, see I wasn't aware of the temp issue. Interesting. Thanks bunches

Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
mattmc
I am new to BT's but I must say they are awesome. I have a 16" or so northern. I use aspen bedding for him. He seems to like it because its easy for him to burrow in. I agree with fuzzylogic about the personality. The store I got mine was very cold so he was very inactive. He is now very active and always exploring. Very cool. Bluetongueskinks.net is a great resource and the guy who runs the sight breeds them as well. I hope you get one. you wont regret it.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
mattmc
Here is mine on my wife's shoulder.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
ShortStack
How cuuuuuuute! Ahh, I want one so bad, lol.

Does anyone have any good breeders to suggest?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
sangmort
I got my pair of CB Northern Bluetongues from Ray in St. Pete [ just south of Tampa ] last year. Thunderbay Herps

Ray is a pretty awesome guy to talk to, even if you're just looking for info right now. Awesome experience, can't recommend him more. ~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!