Litterbox Training an Argentine blk & wht - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
queen_of_pain666
Question Litterbox Training an Argentine blk & wht

I've heard of several people being able to house/litter box train their tegu, but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how. My little guy does not defecate at any regular time during the day, so I can't simply place him in the litter box at a certain hour. However, if I take him out and let him roam around, it's almost guaranteed he'll defecate within the hour.

Any help? Anyone?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Toby_H
People say all sorts of nonsense... and I say anyone claiming to have a litter box trained Tegu is talking nonsense...

It is very possible to learn your Tegus patterns and set things up to work with what he is going to naturally do, but you are not going to change his nature.

My Tegu will not deficate in his enclosure. So in the cooler months when he lives indoors, I take him out of his enclosure and put him straight into the bathtub. After he "empties himself" I let him free roam and clean out the tub.

I cannot in any way claim the Tegu is "trained" to do anything. I simply understood when he comes out of the enclsoure, he will likely deficate. So I put him in warm water which encourages him to do so. Then when he is empty I feel safe that he won't go elsewhere.

This is much more like my Tegu havign me trained than the otyher way around...

I've also heard several people make claims at potty training their Tegus... usually within a short amount of questioning the claims are proben to be false...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
tegu