Whats this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Youchoff
Question Whats this?

I'm in Colorado and I occasionaly come across some critters in bad situation that need help or rescue from bad bad people.

Anywayz, I rescued this pair of blue tongue skinks and have been trying to find out exactly what kind of blue tongue they are.
I found out that one is an eastern because of the thick black bands, but I'm not so sure of the other one. It looks like Pink Marbled Granite. And man is it gourgous with a deep pink (almost red) throat and violent eyes.

I'm going to give it a shot here and maybe someone can help me with this mini-dilema.

Thanks,
Youchoff
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
George J. Ward
Look like Irian Jaya or northern blue tounges,which are the most common in the market.Very nice looking and they look like it is a male and female. Just a quick tip. Those guys love 9lives catfood beef and gravy. My son got his first blue tounge as a baby christmas before last and it was 6"-7" long and now it is almost 2',9lives beef&gravy. Great job on the rescue!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Youchoff
Thank you for the reply. I looked into the catfood thing, but was warned away by local vets as to the effects of catfood.
Have you had any problems feeding them catfood?
I heard it causes obisety in reptiles when fed to them on a constant basis?

Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
I too, would stay away from catfood. Catfood is for cats...enough said.

A slightly better alternative is some form of canned monitor or tegu food. When I had my BTS, I fed them a mixture of the canned monitor diet, fruits & veggies, the occasional batch of crickets or mealworms, and the rare treat of a pinky mouse. These guys are mainly opportunistic omnivores that lean on the carnivore side of things.

In a pinch, you could also probably offer them any form of commercial box turtle diet or bearded dragon diet (two more herp omnivores). As long as you offer a variety, I don't think you can go wrong.

But they will mostly eat anything, which is one reason I like them. Its so nice because if you happen to be out of insects, you can always feed them fruits & veggies. If you have yet to go to the grocery store, have a bag/can of monitor/box turtle/beardie food around. You can always feed them an egg every once in a while.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Youchoff
I figured they're diet would be close to a tegu diet. I didnt know anything about these guys when i rescued them so my research was limited. Lol. I do a better job with moniters.. but these guys have been a joy so far.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
George J. Ward
I have dealt with blue tounges for years. The catfood never hurt any of mine in anyway shape or form. Yes it is good to give them a diversity.But the statement catfood is for cats.Learn before you leap people. I have been in this business for over 30+ years and have worked for one of the largest Dealers in the U.S. My sons blue tounge is just fine and also you should take them out for exercise some peopels enclosures are small and don't offer much exercise room. And yes they are like monitors and tegus but I bet you don't feed your lizards dead rotting animals that those guys eat in the wild huh?? Go figure!! some people just like to be heard even though they really haven't been doing this work for as long as I have and have any of them ever been published worldwide twice for working in the herpetological field?? Well I have, as well as the fact that i am one the leading exotics experts here in Florida, so all you posers go lay down somewhere and be quiet!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Youchoff
Hold on, dont bite. I only logged on to get information and i take EVERYBODY's information into consideration. I am only learning here and have gotten some good information from everyone. I had no intention of starting a hissing match between anyone.

Thank you both for your information. Now have enough info to come up with my own conclusions.
Me and my skinks thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
blue tongue skink, marbled