Captive born vs. wild caught - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
ShortStack
Captive born vs. wild caught

I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on captive born vs. wild caught blue tongue skinks? I am looking to get one in the next month or so, and keep going back and forth on to get a captive born from a breeder or a wild caught from a local pet store(not a big name chain store like Petsmart, but one locally owned with a good reputation). I know the biggest risk from what I've researched so far is that a WC one is more likely to have parasites. What I've heard from people I've talked to is that a quick fecal can test for it, and then some panacur can treat it easily. So, what are your pros and cons of the two?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
I prefer to encourage captive breeding of all species. What benefit would there be to getting a wild caught?

I don't necasarily disapprove of all wild collection, but if there's no real reason to go with a wild caught(it's not a new morph, no need of new lineage) then, I'd go captive bred.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
If you have the extra $$$ for a CB blue tongue, go for it. I agree totally with Theresa. Bottom line: there's no real advantage to getting WC other than perhaps adding new blood to a breeding colony.

All that said, you will definitely find that the vast majority of BTS out there are indeed WC imports, and that likely isn't going to change soon. The truth is that these skinks have a very slow reproductive rate, and they're almost impossible to sex. Females give live birth to an average of 3 babies, so even for those who are lucky enough to peg down adult breeding pairs, they're not going to be cranking out hundreds of baby BTS every year. High demand + low supply = rather pricey CBB blue tongued skinks.

IMHO, blue tongues are one of the most durable and resilient lizards I can think of, which is one reason I like them so much. Of course, I'm not saying you should deliberately abuse them or anything, but they very hardy and have been known to tolerate occasional faults in husbandry. Consequently, a WC specimen, if already fairly healthy and you get it dewormed, can make a great pet.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
pch101
CBB all the way. I can't think of any reason to go with wild collected imported animals that would even come close to outweighing all of the negative factors. If you knew the process that these animals actually went through before they make to the pet store, you would be sickened. In short please do not support this ugly, sad aspect of the reptile hobby, and stick with captive bred and born animals.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
sschind
I would echo the sentiments of those responding so far and say CBB all the way. I would also add the following as my additional 2 cents.

You say CAPTIVE BORN in both the thread title and your post. Buying a Captive Born BTS may not get you one from a breeder. Many female BTS are imported as gravid WC adults. When these females have their babies many sellers label them as CB and use the term Captive Born which means (to me anyway) that they were BORN in captivity but they were not BRED in captivity. From a health standpoint this may be preferable to a WC but from a conservation standpoint it really has no impact since the original specimen was already taken from the wild.

If you truly want to support the captive breeding of these wonderful animals (my favorite lizards by the way) make sure you are getting a true CBB (captive bred and born) animal from a true breeder and not a CB (captive born) from an importer or reseller. If you go with any of the Australian species (northerns are the most common I think) you should be safe. I would find claims of CBB babies of any of the commonly imported species (Irian jayas and gigas are the two most common) to be highly suspect depending on the source. I would love to get a few true CBB gigas or IJs but I don't trust any of the dealers I see at any of the regular shows I attend and I don't know anyone breeding them personally.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
pch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I would echo the sentiments of those responding so far and say CBB all the way. I would also add the following as my additional 2 cents.

You say CAPTIVE BORN in both the thread title and your post. Buying a Captive Born BTS may not get you one from a breeder. Many female BTS are imported as gravid WC adults. When these females have their babies many sellers label them as CB and use the term Captive Born which means (to me anyway) that they were BORN in captivity but they were not BRED in captivity. From a health standpoint this may be preferable to a WC but from a conservation standpoint it really has no impact since the original specimen was already taken from the wild.

If you truly want to support the captive breeding of these wonderful animals (my favorite lizards by the way) make sure you are getting a true CBB (captive bred and born) animal from a true breeder and not a CB (captive born) from an importer or reseller. If you go with any of the Australian species (northerns are the most common I think) you should be safe. I would find claims of CBB babies of any of the commonly imported species (Irian jayas and gigas are the two most common) to be highly suspect depending on the source. I would love to get a few true CBB gigas or IJs but I don't trust any of the dealers I see at any of the regular shows I attend and I don't know anyone breeding them personally.

All good points. Also, if you want cbb Irian Jaya BTS contact Zach at http://bluetongueskinks.net He has babies every season. I used to breed them, but stopped years ago because of their unestablished taxonomic status and the fact that they are still being imported in massive numbers. So for now I stick to the Australian forms.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
ShortStack
I'm super excited to update that come Tuesday, I will have a Northern BTS Thanks for all the opinions, yall! I've read and heard so many awesome things about these guys, so I can't wait! Keep a look out for a picture thread soon

Old 07-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
pch101
Great! Mind if I ask where you are getting him from.

James

Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
ShortStack
Ben Seigels Reptiles, here in Florida.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
pch101
He is a good guy, and you will get a great animal from him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!