Is This a Good Idea? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #11
Mustangrde1
First off this person is obviously breaking the Florida laws for Hot keeping! He came to TRR asking how or who he can be trained for his VRL "venomous reptile license." It is not a good idea to ever handle a venomous snake that way. venomous snakes are born with venom and the ability to use it upon their first breath.

Here is his thread on TRR http://thereptileroom.org/forum/inde...2817entry12817
Screen shot not working right now but here is the thread. I will also lock it so it can not be deleted or edited at this point. Below is a cut n paste of it.

venemous training wanted
[ Attach New Poll | Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic ]

Lonermon
Posted: Dec 22 2004, 10:32 PM
i live in ft lauderdale and wan t to get my venemous license . i have been handling and catching both venemous and non venemous snakes since i was a teenager . i have 3 days off a week and am willign to put in the time . any assistance you can give would be helpfull . please respond here or email me at lonermon@yahoo.com ( please put the heading "venemous training " so that i dont delete it as spam )
Thanks
Turtle

Casual Herper

Group: Adv. Member
Member No.: 189

Warn: [0%]
IP: [ 65.9.100.234 ]

Old 12-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #12
Karen Hulvey
I emailed Lonormon about this thread.

I really wish people would not free handle hot snakes. It really gripes me to no end when I see it. There are plenty of ways to handle them w/o getting your hand right up near their face.

I really would like to know why people do this. Is it machismo, testosterone, beer, age-related (some young people think they're invincible) or just pure ignorance of the consequences?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
ms_terese
I read somewhere that approximately 95% of the snakebites in the U.S. involve alcohol....and it ain't the snake that's drinkin'!

Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 AM   #14
Traci1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
I really would like to know why people do this. Is it machismo, testosterone, beer, age-related (some young people think they're invincible) or just pure ignorance of the consequences?
Reading your question also makes me curious as to what percentage of venomous snake bite victims are male vs. female! sorry guys, I can't help but to wonder!

Old 12-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #15
bcfos
This is not a good idea at all. Besides breaking the Florida laws he is showing total disregaurd for other venomous keepers by posting pictures of him free handing. This could come back to bite him in the ass if he ever gets bitten, and I don't care how docile a snake is all it takes is one time and you are tagged. Be it a mistake by you or the little fellow having a bad scale day, but once you are bitten there is no explaining your disreguard for being a responsible keeper.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #16
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci1
Reading your question also makes me curious as to what percentage of venomous snake bite victims are male vs. female! sorry guys, I can't help but to wonder!
They typical demographic for an "illegitimate" snakebite victim in the U.S. (illegimate referring to the purposeful interaction with a venomous snake, as opposed to an accident, i.e. stepping on one while out in the field) is a male between 20-40, and alcohol is almost always a contributing factor.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #17
Lonermon
<copied from my comments on the picture pages and added to >
thanks for all the comments

1) yes i am well aware of the fact that this is a venemous snake , and i have seen the results of her venom on live mice .

2) its not because of "people like me " that anythign is being banned .i have never been bitten by a hot snake ,nor have i ever caused anyone else to be bitten .

3) im familiar with the temperment of all my snakes . this particular snake is VERY docile . having been handled by me since jsut after birth .

4)althjough i dont even begin to say that there is no possability of her striking this shot was taken on a cool day , her having been recently fed as well . at the time of the photo ( which ws taken without flash ) she was nerly dormant

no she is not a venemoid . no i didnt take this picture to "get a rise" out of people . i took this picture to show off her coloring .
cottonmouths ARE venemous . but not lethal . but thats nto to say that id be willign to get bit jsut becasue it woudnt be lethal . theres a reason i have never been bit . and to those of you that are gonna say " no matter how docile the snake is , no matter how cold it was , no matter how well you know its temperment . your still stupid and asking to be bit " . well i suggest you never get in a car , because no matter how long youve been driving or how alert you are the possability still exhists for you to be killed in a horrible accident.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Lonermon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
I emailed Lonormon about this thread.

in my case . no its not age related ( Im in my late 30's) . drug or alcohol related ( as i do neither) . machismo . or ignorance . and far as invincible , <grin> i only wish .

its experience with the snake in question . i would never dream of handling an unknown snake liek this . if the picture so offends others i will go ahead and remove it ( if i can)

just as a point of intrest . thanks to several people for pointing me to someone that was willign to offer training . startign next week i will be gettign trainign 2-3 days a week with experienced and licensed handlers .

Old 12-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #19
Lonermon
[quote=Mustangrde1]First off this person is obviously breaking the Florida laws for Hot keeping!

to any and all of you that have made comments about me breakign the law . your making an awfull big jump . the truth is although this is my snake you ASSUME that its beign kept illegally . thats a pretty big assumption . i guess its jsut impossible that its kept in a properly secured container or approved enviroment , that its not being kept int he possession of a licensed handler untill i can complete my training and get my license . i dunno about you but i was tought not to make assumptions , let alone throw out accusations of people breakign the law .

Old 12-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #20
Mustangrde1
Interesting how you state that you are looking to be trained, It strikes me as very strange that if as you say
Quote:
the truth is although this is my snake
and
Quote:
that its not being kept int he possession of a licensed handler untill i can complete my training and get my license
So why would you be asking for trainning if it is with a licensed keeper? Who is this licensed Keeper? Obviously if it is with a licensed keeper you would have a resource for trainning so why are you asking for a trainer in your area?

Lot of things sound not in order. Would you enlighten us to the questions above?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!