am I right on the care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
eatinmachine
am I right on the care

I just got a ball python at the last reptile show. It is a captive born. The day we got him or her it ate with no prob. I keep the cage with a temp of 90 during day on warm side and at night 80. I have a light on the cage during the day and a under cage heat mat on all the time. He/she was born last April and good sized. I have aspen bedding and am feeding fresh killed full grown mice. I have a hide box on each side of the cage I use tissue boxes. I have a large water bowl and a sreen top covered about 75 percent of way with plastic. This is all in my 10 gallon cage but am going to upgrade to a boa cage which is 3 feet by 17 inches and am going to duplicate conditions but add a climbing branch is this right? Could you please answer thanks Josh
Turtleowner99@aol.com
(sorry for any mispelled stuff doing well corn snake in hand)

Old 11-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
NEWReptiles
Sounds good Josh.

If hes eating and the setup is good, them he will do just fine.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
acebrumfield
The Light

Josh
The light isn't really needed unless you are using it as a heat source. Balls are by nature nocturnal and unlike many other reptiles are not UV dependent. It is by no means hurting by having the light it is just and optional accessary. If you will notice alot of the reptile cages don't have clear tops and if the snake is in a room that gets normal daylight that will work as well as anything.

Jonathan

Old 11-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Sand&SunReptile
I agree. Sounds like a nice ball if it's eating already. Good luck with that.

Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
Tommy D.
Congrats Josh,
Sounds like you have done your reseach and are doing things correct. About the climb branch I don't know if it is need either. Most balls don't climb much from my experence but it wouldn't hurt. Sounds like it found a good home. Tommy D.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
I've noticed younger balls climbing much more frequently than an adult would. If you have it set up in a tank, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a climbing branch. Besides, it'd be fun at night to see them out climbing around.
It would climb more if there was a night light on top, something like the commercial herp black, red, blue, or purple lights... But, thats just from my experiance.
I used to have a setup with a branch in there, when I had just my first ball. I am going down the road towards breeding, rather than keeping as a pet and have added to my collection since then and have everything in a rack systems now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!