Opening a Reptile Rescue in NE Ohio - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Keith the place is HUGE!!!
I think once stuff gets moved in, maybe a new coat of paint, a few reptile posters, it will look very appealing.

We are in the process of painting and drywall repair. The buildnig owner is redoing the exterior to bring it up to code.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
Herps Alive!
A few more updates. Small aquatics area (turtles, aquatic frogs). Also one of the crazest bult-in cages ever. Probably will house an iiguana- picking up one from NY and one from Indana later this month. HVAC got a clean bill of health (and a programmable thermostat) courtesy of a local company that supports our efforts. Progress is slower than I'd like, but faster than it has been.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
Herps Alive!
Try the pics again. We Luddites mess up on the Interwebs all the time
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Herps Alive!
First 30 or so animals have been moved in. The iguana was deserted and came to us from a local Humane Society. This is his "sun" cage where volunteers can bring hm outside. His normal cage is the built in above.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #15
LauraB
Kudos to you, Keith, et al, for taking the very long time and enormous efforts to proceed legally and safely and to provide safe haven for the rescues. I've followed your thread from the beginning; really good to see it all finally coming to fruition.

PM sent re: supplies I could donate.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Herps Alive!
Thought we would be opening this week, but the city decided we had too many electrical issues (smh), so the electrician will be back out next week. Another $1500-2000 we had not budgeted for. Very frustrated right now. Off to do what of the electrical I CAN do myself now. Go USA. More updates in a few days.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #17
andrewuza
Sounds like a great idea, but definately important to keep your rescue operation away from your breeding operation. But I bet it would be very rewarding for both you and the animals involved. I would start out slow until you get the hang of things... if you don't have a ton of experience with a certain animal, maybe just have one or a couple of that type until you feel more comfortable. Definately get your Fed Ex certification and maybe even search out a few more forums that will allow you to place adoption ads to help you reach more people who may be interested in adopting.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #18
Herps Alive!
Still trying to hammer out electrical with an inspector who admittedly dislikes reptiles. Hope to finally get open in a couple weeks. We have about 50 animals in the building, with 150 more (about 70 turtles. 60 snakes and 20 lizards, frogs and other miscellaneous) still at the temporary facility.
Two things- I have attached our latest newsletter if anyone is interested in checking out what we are doiing, and due to an influx of aquatic turtles, we are in desperate need of filtration. If anyone has any canister filters, external or internal,, laying around that they would like to donate, please message me. We are a 501C3 so we can provide a tax receipt.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 91514foundationnewsletter.pdf (904.4 KB, 318 views)

Old 11-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
Herps Alive!
Electric finally approved and then the city hit us with a state mechancial code violation for ventilation, so another $2-3K before we can open. We are now $10K over budget, but we are going to make this thing work. Been getting lots of equipment donations (tax deductible, just sayin ;-)) and unfortunately have been taking in lots of animals. Website (herpsalive.org) should go live by the end of the month.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
Herps Alive!
Ductwork done, waiting for the stupid exhaust fan now. Hope to get open before the holidays. Very frustrated. Here are some pics of the small cage room taking shape - had to wait for landlord to do some repairs and for the ductwork to be installed.

I have also attached a picture of our 2015 Foundation calendar. PM me if you would like to buy one and support a good cause.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!