Need some help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
the gecko geek
Need some help

Hey guys, I am gonna be getting into boas and am unsure of what to start with. I REALLY like the look of the albinos, sunglows, and snows. But I don't want to spend a fortune starting out. What are the best starters out there? I like the look of the motleys and surinames, and want to know which genetics are compatible with others and which ones aren't. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
joshc24
First off, Get what you want to look at. The albino, sunglows, snows, and motleys are all bci. You said you like suris and they are bcc. bci and bcc are both amazing snakes to work and interact with. If I were you I would start with a nice baby albino or a very clean hypo boa ( both are very afforable )
Everyone in here has great info for you and you could always order "The Complete Boa Constrictor" from Vin russo. That book will have all the info you want and has great pictures of the different morphs and what makes them.
WELCOME TO THE BOA WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
the gecko geek
Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm not sure what bci and bcc are but I have a hunch it refers to the scientific names. I want to eventually breed boas, not to make millions but because I want to breed boas that look nice. So I just don't know what get that will give me what I want.
Thanks again for all your help!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
yes BCi and BCc refer to the latin names, they are different sub-species
BCi - Boa Constrictor imperator
this contains the 'common' boas, Colombians, Central Americans and the other insular forms like hog isle boas.
BCc - Boa Constrictor constrictor
this contains the 'true red tail' boas, Surinam, Guyana, (or 'northern shield' which can be both suri and guyana as some people feel they are the same), peruvians
there are also BCl, BCo, BCa, etc
check out some of these websites for general pictures of various sub-species and localities:
http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/B...tor_subspecies
http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/

I would start with a BCi. As mentioned, you can find albinos, hypos and even motleys and jungles now for a very affordable price (~$100-500 depending on what morph, lineage and who buy from). If you really like the looks of the albinos, sunglows and snows then I would go for an albino or sunglow... you may want to save up a little more and go for a sunglow as they tend to keep better color/contrast into adulthood than albinos (there are always exceptions especially with all the selective breeding being done over the last 10 years).

Another good book I would highly recommend that is good for starting out:
the boa constrictor manual
http://www.amazon.com/Constrictor-Ma...7467691&sr=8-1
it's $9.95 on Amazon

good luck!
Boas are Best Of All

Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
the gecko geek
Yeah I was thinking sunglow. But there are so many different options that I can't seem to choose what I want. There are so many amazing looking snakes out there it is unreal! I'm sure once I get some I will be posting some pics up here
and I love the boa acronym April!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Metachrosis
You dont know the difference tween BCI and BCC and your "ready" for a boa ?

The proper acronym for boa in C O M M I T M E N T,impulse buying is a very scary problem in this hobby and has been for many years.It may be the driving force behind the morph market,but it also takes its toll with locality and other animals in general.
It takes a few months to learn then understand,then learn some more.
Being spoon fed by a public forum should be a corrective measure,not a "How To" in progress.
The Forums are constantly loaded with simple questions one "should already know" before ever accepting the responsibility of caring for a boa.

These are 10-15 yr living animals,not toys or decoration . . . . .

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
the gecko geek
Yeah, I know they aren't toys. I've kept a few boas as PETS (to be specific a Brazilian rainbow boa and a boa I rescued and nursed back to health from a terrible mite infestation...I know what I'm doing here) but now I want to get into morphs and possibly breeding. I know exactly how to care for a boa. I know exactly how big they get.

I understand your concern for the hobby and the animals, but just because someone posts a thread asking for help doesn't mean they are impulse buying. I ALWAYS do my homework when looking into ANY animal. Don't be too quick to judge someone because they dont specialize in the same animal as you.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
I love the boa acronym April!
thanks but I can't take credit for it, I stole it from Sharon Moore (Boa Woman) She's been keeping and breeding boas for a long long time, her website looks a bit chaotic (IMO) but some good info in there
http://www.boastore.com/

edit - oh and just because it was mentioned earlier on a life span, thought it would be good to point out boas can live for 20+ years if properly cared for, I think the oldest boa was a Peruvian at a zoo that lived to be 41? My oldest boa is 22 this year.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
Metachrosis
Your other post's in this thread STRONGLY suggest otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
, but just because someone posts a thread asking for help doesn't mean they are impulse buying. I ALWAYS do my homework when looking into ANY animal. Don't be too quick to judge someone because they dont specialize in the same animal as you.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
the gecko geek
So what you're saying is that because I don't know the Latin names of the snakes I have absolutely no clue how to take care of them? Because I've never bred them before I don't know how to care for them? Because so far other than asking what morphs are the best starters or not knowing what I wants the only thing I dont know is the latin names. And apparently, seems as how you were corrected, you don't even know how old they can live so.......

Whether you believe me or not, I know what I'm doing. Whether you want me to or not, I'm going to get into boas. And when you see my for sale ads in the boa section, please feel free to make sure I have my morphs straight, and that I'm not ripping anyone off with my prices.

If you are trying to deter me from getting into boas, then just leave because its not gonna happen, and I'd much rather use my time discussing boas with people that are supportive and helpful, than waste it trying to prove myself worthy to someone that's just being rude..

And it seems like you're the only person that doesn't want me to get into boas Tommy.
I'm just curious as to why? Why am I not good enough to take care of a boa? And saying that i didn't know the Latin names is not an excuse, because you can't even remember how long they live.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!