Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections. - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the "no reply" policy in classified ads helped or hindered?
Yes. Re-enable all replies to the classifieds sections. 179 50.42%
No. Keep it as it is with replies to the classifieds disabled for non-paying members. 127 35.77%
Didn't go far enough. Disable replies in the classifieds sections to ALL members. 36 10.14%
What? I wondered why I couldn't reply to classified ads! 10 2.82%
There are classified ads here? 3 0.85%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #81
DeMeNtEdDoGz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSanJose View Post
That would involve basically gutting the entire forums software, and just for that section. Forum software is pretty much BASED on the concept of 'a reply bumps a thread to the top so people can see there is new activity'. It's not that simple at all.

You wouldnt be gutting the forum software....it may take some work to add in a function to prevent the thread from being "bumped" but there have been mods for replying with out bumping and bumping with out replying for years. I remember working on a similar mod for phpbb almost a decade ago. It might not be that simple, but is completely doable.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #82
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMeNtEdDoGz View Post
You wouldnt be gutting the forum software....it may take some work to add in a function to prevent the thread from being "bumped" but there have been mods for replying with out bumping and bumping with out replying for years. I remember working on a similar mod for phpbb almost a decade ago. It might not be that simple, but is completely doable.
Of course. Just about anything is doable in a programming application if enough effort and money is applied to it. The question is, how much money SHOULD I throw at such a problem? And WHY should I if a simpler, somewhat satisfactory, solution exists? Blocking replies stops bumping abuses dead in it's tracks, does it not? And it is a whole lot less labor intensive for the mods than the alternative of simply re-enabling replies again.

But in any event, if you know of a simple programming algorithm that can differentiate a REAL post from someone simply using any number of ploys to effect a bump, heck, let me in on it. I've done programming in my younger years, but by no means consider myself an expert.

In any event, I don't see the poll providing me any mandate to change from what is currently implemented.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #83
JeffVeit
Frankly, I dont see a problem with the way things currently are. If its not broken, dont fix it, is my motto. I think if you re-enable replies it might open a can of worms imo.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #84
WebSlave
It appears that the voting has swung over to favoring re-enabling replies to the classifieds. Any last words or votes before I flip the coin?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #85
Mistyck
I vote to keep things the way you have them now.

No need to open replies on classifieds. That'd be opening up a can of worms again.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #86
Ed Clark
I say keep it the way it is. also think that anyone wanting to post a classifed should have at least a contributor membership. think about all the scammers that will not pay that $25.00 to post a classified.the site is filthy with scammers right now.my thoughts are that the free advertizing attracts scammers.

Just my 02

Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #87
Leopard Gecko Guy
I vote Re-enable replies, without replies there is no chats, and without chats, this website is useless. A website has to be useful to stay in business.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #88
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard Gecko Guy View Post
I vote Re-enable replies, without replies there is no chats, and without chats, this website is useless. A website has to be useful to stay in business.
Thats what the pm's are for.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #89
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
I say keep it the way it is. also think that anyone wanting to post a classifed should have at least a contributor membership. think about all the scammers that will not pay that $25.00 to post a classified.the site is filthy with scammers right now.my thoughts are that the free advertizing attracts scammers.

Just my 02
Wouldnt work, cause this would cause a sense of security to lookers thinking they are a honorable seller cause they paid the $25. $25 is a small price to pay when they can recover that and thousands on a few scams.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #90
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
Wouldnt work, cause this would cause a sense of security to lookers thinking they are a honorable seller cause they paid the $25. $25 is a small price to pay when they can recover that and thousands on a few scams.
I see your point, don't you think it would discourage any scammers?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!