Need help - Snake with crush injury - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
bigjej
Need help - Snake with crush injury

I came home for a quick errand to find a disaster. I have a runt of a kingsnake (it has been a slow grower in the 4 years I have it and has trouble striking on target ) in a 10 gallon with a top thats held down by a heavy rock ( clips dont work on this one for some reason ). I was told to go look at one of my snakes as its trying to escape. Now I run down and I see abotu the last 1/4 of the snake hanging OUTSIDE the cage with the rest inside. Somehow it lifted the cover (I'm having a hard time digesting this as its a 12" kingsnake and the large rock weighs about 5 lbs ) and got its rear end out ( i would have been less surprised if it was the front end hanging out. ). I quickly took off the lid and picked up the snake. It was alive but not behaving as it usually does - which is to try and escape or strike me. The portion that was between the lid and the rim is crushed but I can't tell how completely the injury is. I dont know how long it was like this since I last checked the snakes before the weekend. I don't know what to do but for now will give it fresh water and observe. I will post photos later as I have to run back to work. Any advice?

It appears almost as if it was trying to get in the cage. I at first assumed someone opened the lid and then threw it on the snake when it tried to get out but the other people in my house all denied it and i have no reason to disbelieve them. I just can't imagine how this happened.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjej View Post
I came home for a quick errand to find a disaster. I have a runt of a kingsnake (it has been a slow grower in the 4 years I have it and has trouble striking on target ) in a 10 gallon with a top thats held down by a heavy rock ( clips dont work on this one for some reason ). I was told to go look at one of my snakes as its trying to escape. Now I run down and I see abotu the last 1/4 of the snake hanging OUTSIDE the cage with the rest inside. Somehow it lifted the cover (I'm having a hard time digesting this as its a 12" kingsnake and the large rock weighs about 5 lbs ) and got its rear end out ( i would have been less surprised if it was the front end hanging out. ). I quickly took off the lid and picked up the snake. It was alive but not behaving as it usually does - which is to try and escape or strike me. The portion that was between the lid and the rim is crushed but I can't tell how completely the injury is. I dont know how long it was like this since I last checked the snakes before the weekend. I don't know what to do but for now will give it fresh water and observe. I will post photos later as I have to run back to work. Any advice?
It appears almost as if it was trying to get in the cage. I at first assumed someone opened the lid and then threw it on the snake when it tried to get out but the other people in my house all denied it and i have no reason to disbelieve them. I just can't imagine how this happened.
I would take it to the Vet, immediately. If I were not to take it to the Vet, I would cull it, if it were indeed crushed (hard to know without pics).

Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Focal
Is the bottom potion moving? Or limp?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!