Roaches - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
geckomania
Roaches

I have a lot of roaches (red runners, lobsters, and dubia). I'm still trying to figure out how the big roach breeders sort their roaches. I would like to request some input so I can manage my roach colonies better so I'm able to feed all my geckos faster. I'm just tired of picking a few at a time so I can feed the right size depending on the size of my geckos. Thanks in an advance for any help you may provide.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
hadenglock
Try using funnels with different sized end openings for different sized roaches you may need. then you could take a tube or egg carton full of roaches shake them into the funnel and then filter out the smaller ones you need. Never tried it before but it sounds like it would work.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
geckomania
Most funnels are of the same width opening from the bottom. The differences are the content amount from the top you can fill. I've seen some people use old tubs with different hole sizes drilled on each tub to accommodate the roach size. It seems like a good idea but does anyone know the size of the drill bit to separate adult, large, medium, and small?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
ajcrestedgeckos
Yup, the tub with tons of holes method seems to work best for me. The plastic mesh works for separating the babies from the frass. Just run a couple test holes on a piece of scrap to figure out what size bit will work for you. Go a little smaller than you think because they can squeeze through.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
mikepanzarella
for our dubia we use a tote bin with 5/8 holes drilled on the bottom (takes sooooooo long)
then we shake the egg crates in the bin the adults cant fit but the babies fall down into another bin
we are not a large breeder but we pull 15k babies every 2 weeks i cant comment about the other species we dont work with them and I think they are climbing species

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!