Cleaning out roach bin? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
hadenglock
Question Cleaning out roach bin?

Ive been keeping dubias for awhile now, and i dread the day i have to clean their tubs, i was just wondering if anybody has found an easy way to sift through their waste to get out as many nymphs and adults as physically possible? Normally i try to get as many roaches into a clean seperate bin and then dump all the waste to one side of the dirty bin so the roaches can then herd over to the cleaner side, but this seems like a waste of time and a real pain to me. Anybody have any advice? thanks for your input!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
radera5
What about a big industrial sized strainer? Or something similar?

I haven't kept roaches in quite some time so I can't really remember. I do know they have those "cleaning crew bugs". They are bugs that eat dead bugs and extra left over food in the feces. They clean whole colonies. You still have to clean, but it would cut down BIG time on how much cleaning you need to do.

Good luck

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
hadenglock
I thought about using a strainer, so ill go about that route, thanks for the input!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
mikepanzarella
we use two sorting bins one to sort babies from adults and then another to sort the waste from the baby nymphs
1st bin we used a 5/8ths drill bit on the bottom of a plastic tote
2nd bin cant remember if it was 3/8ths or 1/4 drill bit but it was a much smaller plastic bin
www.theroachhut.co.uk they have a few good videos for sorting nymphs

Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Snake-Queen
I have mine sorted into 3 bins... adults and 2 for smaller roaches.

I have an extra scooped/sitter from my bearded dragons that I use to sift out the magority of the waste. I do this once a month or so to keep it manageable.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
hadenglock
i made a strainer out of some rain gutter wire, and then cut out the bottom of a plastic cereal bowl and hot glued the wire to the bottom of it, it works perfectly sifting out waste from nymph roaches. The trick was looking for the right size gauge wire so the nymph roaches wouldnt fall through

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!