Captive Born Reptiles????? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
kimnrick04
Question Captive Born Reptiles?????

Has anyone bought from Terry at CBR? Can you tell me how the deal went? I'm looking to buy a Sulawesi Retic off them. Thanks
Rick Vanderpool

Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
INSANE CANES
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnrick04
Has anyone bought from Terry at CBR? Can you tell me how the deal went? I'm looking to buy a Sulawesi Retic off them. Thanks
Rick Vanderpool
Here are a couple of threads about them.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...+BORN+REPTILES

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...+Born+Reptiles

Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
INSANE CANES
Sorry hit reply too fast,

Links are information on Terry Wilkins.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
chimpkin
All you have to do is take a trip to his store. There is only one word to describe it...PUTRID!

The tanks are absolutely filthy, the place stinks, and most of the animals look questionable. Some examples of things I witnessed would be:

1. Large retics and burms in cages with wood bottom, little or no substrate and more than one defecation and old crumbled up sheds.

2. Alligators in aquariums so small they can only move a few inches back and forth and can't turn around. Brown water with no filter or heating.

3. Hatchling Colubrids in 2 1/2 gallon tiny aquariums with glass so filthy its hard to see what kind of snake is in the tank.

4. Empty water bowls, filthy water bowls, left over crickets in cages, dead crickets and prey left in cages, many cages with no heat, exposed heat bulbs inside the tanks, ridiculous pricing on used equipment (junk), ridiculous pricing on new equipment (also Junk).

All I wanted to do when I exited the store was take a shower. Just so everybody knows we are talking about Captive Born Reptiles in Columbus, Ohio. The Owner is Terry Wilkins. Yes, the same Terry Wilkins who has served jail time and paid fines for not Pit Tagging his native Ohio reptiles.

Don't waste your time on him, unless it is to turn him in for cruelty to animals.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
INSANE CANES
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpkin
All you have to do is take a trip to his store. There is only one word to describe it...PUTRID!

The tanks are absolutely filthy, the place stinks, and most of the animals look questionable. Some examples of things I witnessed would be:

1. Large retics and burms in cages with wood bottom, little or no substrate and more than one defecation and old crumbled up sheds.

2. Alligators in aquariums so small they can only move a few inches back and forth and can't turn around. Brown water with no filter or heating.

3. Hatchling Colubrids in 2 1/2 gallon tiny aquariums with glass so filthy its hard to see what kind of snake is in the tank.

4. Empty water bowls, filthy water bowls, left over crickets in cages, dead crickets and prey left in cages, many cages with no heat, exposed heat bulbs inside the tanks, ridiculous pricing on used equipment (junk), ridiculous pricing on new equipment (also Junk).

All I wanted to do when I exited the store was take a shower. Just so everybody knows we are talking about Captive Born Reptiles in Columbus, Ohio. The Owner is Terry Wilkins. Yes, the same Terry Wilkins who has served jail time and paid fines for not Pit Tagging his native Ohio reptiles.

Don't waste your time on him, unless it is to turn him in for cruelty to animals.

Thaks for the information.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
kimnrick04
Thanks for the info guys. Can anyone tell me about his Suls. retics. I got one from a guy who said NERD produced it. Terry told me him and a former worker are the only 2 people to produce pures. He said the only reason why a former worker was able to was because he got a pair of wild caught off of Terry. He said that NERD's aren't pure, that they are crossed with Ambons.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick:

Nice to hear from you. I need to correct you though on your first e-mail. The only place you have found Sulawesies is Captive Born Reptiles. Sulawesies have only been bred three times in captivity, twice by me and one time by a former employees whose wild caught animals came from me, Notah Howe. Nerds bred a Sulawesi to a Ambon. At Captive Born Reptiles, I am completely anal about the purity of my bloodlines. If I say it is a Sulawesi, that’s what it is.

I hope to have baby Sulawesies available in the spring of 2008. Usually my babies are sold before they are born. A deposit insures your ability to purchase. Baby Sulawesies sell for $600.00 ea.

Terry
Captive Born Reptiles

1259 Morse Rd.

Columbus, Ohio 43229

614-267-8025

Now, at the store I did notice what you guys were talking about. The gators, the cages,etc. I don't understand if he's such a bad guy why does he have certificates hanging on the wall from the Cleveland and Columbus zoo saying that he is a good herper. I thought maybe because of the weekend that things tend to get busy and that would explain the cage situations. Even the Columbus community as a whole seemed to support him. Any feedback on the breeding of Sulawesi's would be greatly appreciated. I know that pures are scarce.
Rick Vanderpool

Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
dmasio
Look I have been to all 2 out of the last 3 of his stores that have been closed due to disgusting enviornment I only live about 20 minutes or so away from the stores he had. I personally would not purchase so much as rats from him. Be careful.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
chimpkin
I can't believe you are considering buying something from this guy. Let alone a $600 purchase. If you want, I can print out a certificate for you that says "I am the best advice giver on earth." Then, I will tell you again not to buy from this guy. You will regret it.

I am just trying to be a straight shooter. That is what the BOI is for. Trust me, dont send this guy money.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
kimnrick04
I'm getting that picture Shayne. Thats why i came to the bio to find out first before i made a purchase. All I have heard is bad stuff about him. I have a friend who does the shows here in Ohio, and he said the same thing to me. Thanks for the feed back guys.
Rick Vanderpool

Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
chimpkin
After thinking about it...
You know, if the retic you are looking for is only available from him you could buy the snake and just treat it accordingly. Quarantine it for sure and shotgun treat it for parasites. Also, you will probably have to treat for mites. I think a vet visit would definetly be in order.

I just hate it when I see the animals I love so much treated like total crap. The more people buy from him the more animals suffer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!