Bob Clark (Industry and community irresponsibility?) INQUIRY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
ViperPaintball
Angry Bob Clark (Industry and community irresponsibility?) INQUIRY

In his likely desire for more fame outside the high-end herp community, Bob Clark has, in my opinion, performed irresponsibly on at least two seperate occasions. While being presented as a "venomous snake expert" he and Jack Hanna have, in my opinion, helped to further the cause of those who feel that we, the public, have no business keeping venomous reptiles. If you believe that he is the expert he represented himself as, it seems apparent that even an "expert" cannot control such a dangerous animal. If you believe this, then how can a layman or amateur such as myself think they can do so.

This angers and frustrates me to no end, as I have made repeated trips to my state's capitol to defend the rights of herpers in my state, and present my case that we are responsible, educated, cautious, and posessing of great respect for these creatures. These sort of antics and half-assed behavior, combined with the misinformation that the Monocled cobra in the video is labelled as a "King Cobra" and that "one drop of venom will kill an elephant" only goes to show that these two are more interested in fame and sensationalism than responsibility to the community they represent. In the second video they even hand the hook to the TV host and let him hook the snake! Would YOU do that?

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...p/945157.phtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMpStPdQcJI

I feel that we, as a community, need to make a strong statement that this is unacceptable, and may just effect your business.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
nora
umm.... wtf :eek_

ok so that video right there shows that:

A. the media is obviously wrong and exhaggerates the truth beyond what it really is.. as usual.

B. Jack Hannah nor Blob Clark shouldve allowed the host on FoxNews to attempt to hook a venomous snake (regardless of how dangerous it is) aka. Lack of responsibility.

C. Bob free-handling the cobra on national television really isnt all that smart.. there were too many what if's in that situation.. hell bob couldve been bit! Then what.. oops, that wasn't suppose to have happened... I personally think Dave was right when he said "Dont bring Bob back."

besides.. i figured Fluffy wouldve eaten bob by now...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
nora
oh my C. response was in regards to the Dave Letterman segment. sorry..

Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
GREGORY J HALL
it was kind of stupid,maybe it was a venemoid LOL.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
ViperPaintball
I'd be willing to bet it was...but it really makes no difference in the poignancy of my post.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
neilgolli
I've spoke about this issue on other boards, here are my posts and thoughts copied and pasted.

POST #1
Good old jack and bob playing clowns on national TV representing the best of the best snake keepers around........

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...p/945157.phtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMpStPdQcJI

POST #2
I've got one or two emails from the bob fans out there and let me set something straight really quickly. I greatly respect Bob for what he's done for the hobby and reptile community in the past and years of work thats he's put into this industry. These clips however portray each and everyone of us like shumks in front of millions of people.

Fox and friends I believe was taped first, that hole incident was Jacks fault for letting Brain PLAY with a (what was described as a venomous animal that he clearly states was not a venomoid, however I believe it was and he was just lying) cobra....... How the two of them could leave that studio and not say that went terribly wrong, that we look like a bunch of clowns and did a terrible injustice to responsible reptile keepers is beyond me. HOW they could allow the same thing to happen TWICE is utterly irresponsible and tells me they were there to just get their faces on TV and show boat regardless of the repercussions.

I don't know whats worse, show boating to put your face on TV or truly not knowing what the hell your doing yet going on National TV claiming to be "the best herpetologist around"

Once an unfortunate mistake, twice = 100% loss of any and all respect I had for either one of them.

Conclusion
While an apology seems appropriate, it will never reach an audience that these two pathetic scenes have nor will it do any good. Bobs been around for in excess of 30 years, he of all should know the potential perils our industry faces and the way in which the media portrays us. He should know and act as a leader of the community, acting as a pillar of the industry rather than a bafoon.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
ViperPaintball
If he were truly responsible he would have had someone else do this in his place, as he does NOT appear to be a skilled venomous handler, no matter how many freaky ball pythons he's bred.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Sulaman
Fluffy

Check into fluffy Clark never raised or produced it. There is a Herper out west that rasies retics just to get them big. Fluffy was kept very warm(dijestion) and fed every 2 days by them, then sold to clark when huge.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
snakewrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaman
Check into fluffy Clark never raised or produced it. There is a Herper out west that rasies retics just to get them big. Fluffy was kept very warm(dijestion) and fed every 2 days by them, then sold to clark when huge.
...and where is the proof that this isn't hearsay?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Sulaman
fluffy

A couple wks ago there was an add for Sulawesi on kingsnake. I talked to a man by the name of Jhon. They had it for sell and we talked about retics,They have a w/c sula that is 25ft and power feed their animals. then the mentioned raising fulffy. there are 2 or 3 fluffys. He stated he raised it till it got huge then sold to Clark. I will try to find the ad