Some advice needed!!! ASAP!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
animalluver2005
Exclamation Some advice needed!!! ASAP!!

Ok I found a baby squirrel this morning and he's got a puncture wound on his arm, not sure if its a cat bite or just a wound from falling from tree. But any advice on what to do about the wound would be great. I have cleaned the wound with diluted peroxide and put some neosporin on it but I have read that if its a cat bite the baby squirrel will die within 24/hrs without anitbiotics. Its Sunday, vet in closed in my town. I'm 19yrs old with a 5 month old baby and don't have the funds for a HIGH vet bill, but I want to do everything I can for the lil guy. I raised a baby squirrel when I was 10yrs old so I know the basics, I've just never dealt with a wounded one. Please give me some advice

Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
Call your Fish and Game offices(state level). It's going to fall under them anyway. Either that or search Google to see if there is a wildlife rescue near you to call.

Fish and Wildlife offices in Florida

3900 Drane Field Road
Lakeland, Florida 33811
(863) 648-3203

3911 County Road 2321
Panama City, Florida 32409
(850) 265-3677

1239 SW 10th Street
Ocala, Florida 32674
(352)732-1225

Route 7, Box 440
Lake City, Florida 32055
(904) 758-0525

8535 Northlake Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33412
(561) 625-5122

Hope this helps.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
animalluver2005
I didn't exactly wanna give up the baby squirrel, but ill call and see if they can give me some advice

Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Shadera
If you don't know what you're doing or what you're dealing with, that baby will die.

In most places it is illegal to rehab wildlife without a license. Please put aside the selfish human impulse to want to do it yourself and find a wildlife rehabber that will take it. Even if it's a cat bite, which is usually lethal to small animals, he at least has a chance.

Good luck. To you and to him.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Wolfy-hound
In Florida it's illegal to keep the squirrel because it's a game animal. Also, with an injury and depending on age, it's better for an experianced rehab person with the resources to care properly for it to take it than for you to keep it. You already said that you had no money for vet care, and most vets aren't going to treat an illegally kept animal.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
LoveOfTheFox
Yeah, it's illegal... If you give it up to a wild-life rehabber, they already have the supplies to treat wounds like these and then be able to nurse it back to health properly for a good release... You could probably do so yourself, but if you're not licensed, it's just not a good idea to keep it for the time being (or for a long time- that'd be worse), I guess there isn't too much reason why, except for the fact that it's illegal, and you are probably missing supplies already needed.
For good, quick help, you can post on the "Emergency help [needed]" section of the squirrel board : www.thesquirrelboard.com (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/index.php)
Also, there are many Florida rehabber-licensed people there that will be able to take, rehab, and release on there, and will be able to help you in the process.
I know it's tough giving up a baby squirrel, especially when you're sure you can help it, but it's the best thing to do for the little guy...

In the mean time, if you still have him/her, just be sure to keep him warm, and perhaps try to give him some fluids. If you happen to have some Pedialyte and a dropper, try just dripping a few drops into his mouth (if he won't latch on himself, hopefully he'll lick a little bit up). ...If you're keeping him for longer than a couple days, you should try to find some real formula: Zoologic 33/40 formula are Zoologic 30/55 formula are good ones for squirrels... There's a specific sites that sells them, but I can't find it right now.
...This stuff is just assuming that you don't really know what you're doing, and I realize that you probably actually do, because you only asked a specific question.
Well, I don't know if you need antibiotics, or I don't know what specifically you'd need to get, but I don't think it really kills them all within 24 hours - I can see it happening, but I do Not think it's an every case thing. ...Well, I guess it's already been 24 hours so we'd know by now.

Anyways, if you can't get onto the squirrel board in time (I don't remember if it requires the admin to accept you or not...), you can just ask me, and I can try to help (I'm licensed under other people to rehab baby squirrels, but the squirrels go through the center I volunteer at, so I don't deal with any ones where they're currently wounded or sick..), and I'll pass it on to them if needed and get it back to you as soon as possible.

I hope this little guy survives. <3 Thank you for trying to help and save it.

And ahhrg, I just read the end of your message. Haha. Please ignore my center part then. Sorry about that.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
animalluver2005
Wink

Ok an update.... The baby squirrel is doing great. He survived the past two days and has worked up an appetite. His wound is healing greatly. In my town I know a place that has a squirrel in the building where they sell stuff and hasn't got in trouble. If you like I will post updates and pictures of how the squirrel is progressing. But for now he's doing really well and is a lil piggy. I just need a name, lol. And I have raised a baby squirrel before so I know what I'm doing.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
animalluver2005
An update.... He opened his eyes last night. He's getting alot stronger and still working up an appetite. I just need a name for the lil booger.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
animalluver2005
Well he is actually a SHE and her name will be Noni

Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
LoveOfTheFox
Awesome.
And yeah, sorry, that's why I said you could disregard the part I said..
But yeah. I'd love to hear/read and see pictures on how she's progressing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!