Questionable Range of C. viridis viridis - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Reptile Locators
Question Questionable Range of C. viridis viridis

Queatinable range of this species.
I was just wondering if anyone know's where the range of (Crotalus virdis virdis ) end's or how far south of IH 10 and north of Hwy. 90

During a short trip just to see what was moving. we went west up to Alpine as we started out, it was in the 80's and the temp was droping fast by the time we got to sanderson on hwy 90 west the temp. was 62.3 dergrese, 12-15 miles west of sanderson we were seeing a few snakes moving, and saw surprisingly more than expected we counted 23 road killed snakes ranging from long-nose snakes to TP Rat snakes and 2 adult Rattlesnakes which appeared to be Mojave's at a glance but on better inspection found them to be ( Prairie Rattlesnakes ) within the next 3 miles west of the 2nd road killed prairie. We found a juv. prairie which is only 15 miles west of sanderson. Is this kind of out of the range for prairie rattlesnake ( C. v.viridis ) we have collected through this area many times but this is the first for this species this close to sanderson. Has anyone else forund the ( C. v. viridis ) in this local range?

Old 05-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
snakegetters
I would suggest contacting Dr. John Perez of the Texas A&M University to discuss documenting this range extension.

Warning - the people who document range extensions are likely to ask for the snake pickled in formaldehyde. You can tell them to bugger off if photos and measurements of the live specimen aren't good enough.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
Reptile Locators
Thank's Tanith

I did talk to a student at Sol Ross University he is checking in to the range of the prairie's and their extension pocket's if i do not hear back from him,i will check with Dr.John Perez at A&M

But as far as it getting pickled (NO WAY) anyone who would put a live animal down pickle it for study or range proof can go find their own. hopefully they would use a road killed animal to do this with. and if i had known this is a possability of (killing & pickling) i would have saved one of the road kill snakes of the two already ran over prairie's
and will keep that issue in mind if it is an out side range. but would most lilkly release it back from where it came.

Thank's again Tanith.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Mustangrde1
Randy I just read a very interesting paper on C vv and the pit tagging program with them. If my memory serves me it also had the geographic range of the animals as of 2001 I will see if i can locate it and e-mail it to you. I the pit tagging was very interesting to say the least.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
Reptile Locators
Scott

Thank's Scott

That would be very interesting to read. I would appereciate any INFO. on them, I am not sure of what pit taging is but if you find that artical let me know.

Thank's in adavance.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
Mustangrde1
Here Randy this is one of them http://www3.gov.ab.ca/srd/fw/riskspecies/pdf/SAR_28.pdf

Old 05-28-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
AZ Dragoon
allopatric

During my years studying Crotalus, I remember Chuck Bogert came to the conclusion that Crotalus viridis and Crotalus scutulatus were allopatric species (both in published and personal communications). I have since found a locality in AZ were both species are sympatric, that is if you recognize C. v. cerberus as a subspecies of C. viridis. I believe someone has since lumped the far western forms together as a separate species, C. oreganus, but will not recognize this until I can review their paper. Anyway, if you have found a locality where both C. v. viridis and C. scutulatus have a overlapping range, I would like to hear about it.

Kevin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!